Water Issue in the bilge??

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim McCarty

I am experiencing soapy water in my forward bilge section (310 owners know that the bilge is split into 3 sections with the middle section being the location for the pump etc...at least ours is designed this way)...Anyway, every time I get back to my boat and check the bilge, I need to pump out about half a gallon of water that accumulates. I've checked the hoses underneath and everything seems fine. Does the Y-valve from the sump system have anything to do with it (this is located under the head-sink)? Again, I've check the boat thoroughly, and I am still stumped as to where this water might be coming from. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

G

Gary

Water in the Bilge

Tim, A couple of possibilities come to mind: How full is your fresh water tank that is under the forward berth? There is a large inspection port top center on that tank that is famous for leaking. To fix some of us have added a 2x4 support over the top of this port after tightening it in place with teflon tape on the threads. You might also check the feed hose from the water tank. To get to it you have to remove the drawer unit--remove the drawers and then remove the 4 or 6 screws holding the frame and it will slide out. Second is the anchor locker drain hose. There is a hose that feeds water from the anchor locker to outside the hull on starboard side. Perhaps this hose has come off or is leaking and that is allowing boat wash water into the bilge. Also check the inspection port that is next to the windlass switch. Third, is the drain hose from the sink to the thru-hull OK and are the clamps tight? Lastly, do you have a speed and/or depth transducer? Mine are located just forward of the mast step. If one of those were leaking you'd get water in the forward bilge pocket. The Y-valve you refer to selects pump out from either the refer drain (one position) or from the shower drain (the other position). If you've been using the shower and there is soapy water present, I suppose it could be connected to this. But it seems odd that the water would show up in the forward section of the bilge. If those aren't it, then is this happening after a wash or after a rain? I do find a little water in that area after a heavy (for So. Calif.) rain that I believe comes in down the mast following the path of the mast electrical wires. Happens very rarely and isn't much (but we don't get much rain here). Good Luck--Hope you find it. Gary C310 #230

Apr 3, 2006
Catalina 310 Sackets Harbor, Lake Ontario
Water in the Bilge

Tim, I had a similar situation this year with a small amount of the pink anti-freeze that I put in the bilge last fall (winterization). I would pump this stuff out, and even dry the bilge with some towels, but it would be back again the next weekend. I believe in my case it was/is a problem with the check valve located in line after the pump. It is not possible for the bilge pump to remove all of the water from the hoses so a check valve is installed to stop the liquid that remained in the hoses from running back into the bilge. This check valve may be leaking. Just a thought - good luck and let us know when you identify the problem. Jeff

T

Tim McCarty

Thanks Jeff and Gary...

although I should have clarified some things...the water is actually in the aft part of the bilge. The forward section is bone dry so I doubt if the water is coming from either the freshwater tank or the anchor locker (but, I am going to check anyway). Also, the actual bilge area (where the pump is located) is relatively dry. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

M

Mick

Water

Tim; You say the water looks "soapy", like with foam bubbles? For the aft section of the bilge I would check the shaft log first (where the propeller shaft enters the boat). If your boat came with a packing gland it might need adjusting, as they tend to drip more and more with use. If it does have the packing it needs to drip when the shaft is turning to cool the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.