Water Ingress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP

Oct 8, 2006
- - Aus
G'day, I don't know if this forum is active but I'm ever hopefully. I am the proud Owner of a Bavaria Ocean 40, built in 2001. She is in very good condition apart from a few niggling water leaks. Does anyone else out there have a sililar problem: 1) Window leaks. The cam type securing devises to the windows tend to turn around on themselves and do not clamp the window to the seal! Anyone know where to obtain new seals or cam locks? 2) Does anyone suffer from, mostly fresh water so from the deck, ingress into the glassed in egg box construction just forward of the engine room. I keep getting water in there and can't find the source of the leaks? 3) I seem to have a dribble of water ingressing from the chain plate connections with the deck. Water dribbles down the stainless steel tie rod which is attached to the shell.Without dismantling the chain plates I guess some kind of sealant run around the inside bolted base is the way to go. The rudder stock has about 2mm of play in the bearings. I asked Bavaria in Australia about this and they told it was OK. Anyone any experience with this?? Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.

E

Eric Greenwood

Water in engine room

I own a 2000 Ocean 38 which had freshwater coming into the engine compartment. The source was the two hoses from the cockpit scuppers which I replaced and re-sealed. Also, check the vented loop from sea water intake. Until I replaced the vented loop with a Forespar unit, I found the vented loops to fail. Hope this helps.

GP

Oct 8, 2006
- - Aus
Thanks

I'm going down t the boat this evening, I will have a look at the two after cockpit vents, but I think it's comming from somewhere else. I'll revery with more latter. Graham.

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Vented Loops are coomon leak source

The original vent device at the top of the raw water vented loop in the engine compartment is a common source of leakage. I rebuilt mine (disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and carefully re-assembled) a few times but ultimately replaced it. After each re-build it was OK for a while, but the replacement finally solved the water in engine compartment problem. Have you tried a quick fix (like Captain Tolleys) for some the other leaks (won't work where there is still some looseness in clamping) like the chainplates? Good luck, Ken Johnson "WindSong" www.captaintolley.com

Aug 15, 2006
- - Norfolk, VA
Rudder Vibration

I can't answer the question if it is "OK" that there is that much play in the rudder stock but I can tell you there was an article in the recent issue of the Bavaria Owners Association (UK) that talks about rudder induced vibration on a B36. You can visit their web site at http://www.bavariaowners.co.uk/ Here I quote from the newsletter: "It turns out that the top nut is a round nut that pulls up the rudder stock to hold into its bearings. On close examination this "nut" has a slit cut through the horizontal axis with a pinch screw to heep it locked in position. Our top nut was quite loose, but the pinch screw was seized solid, so I wound the nut off the stock and eventually got the seized screw out and replaced it with a stainless steel hexagon head bolt so that a spanner rather than a screwdriver can be sued. I refitted the top nut and coated all threads with copper grease. I was told by Opal [largest Bavaria dealer in Europe] to tighten the nut really tight, however I tightened the nut quite tight and still had good steering feel, but when out sailing the whole steering creaked badly, obviously too tight! I've greadually loosened the top nut couple of times. Being counscious to keep enough tension on the lose the vibration yet not have any creaking..." Peters Opal can be located at www.petersopal.com As for chainplate leaks, these are often attributable to water wicking down the bolt threads, rather than underneath the plates. Try some food colloring placed around each bolt, one at a time, to see if that is the source.

GP

Oct 8, 2006
- - Aus
Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Has anyone got a Link 2000 fitted with a Fredon 20 charger / invertor??

J

John Aubin s/v Kokomo

Leaks

We bought a 5 year old Ocean 42. Had lots of leaks. Still have one from the forward deck locker. Here's what we found. The channel for the hatch board is a little short allowing water to run down and enter beneath the aluminum plat at the top of the companion way. Fixed by installing 2.5 mm x 2.5 mm (1/4" by 1/4") strip of white polyboard from the bottom of hatch down past the top of the companion way by about 25 mm (1"). All of the stanchions are assembled with a base that bolts through the bulwark top cap rail. This is difficult. Remove all of the stanchions. Remove all of the "donut" stainless trim rings. Remove all the access trim pieces to expose the bottom of the hull deck flange. Unbolt all of the stanchion mounts & remove. Clean everything of old caulk. Re-bed stanchion mounting bolts with poly-sulfide caulk (don't use 3M 5200 or silicone sealant)loosely tightening the retaining nuts. After the poly-sulfide sets up snug up the retaining nuts, fill the cavity above the stanchion mounting bolt with silicone sealant, reinstall the stainless trim ring and the stanchion. This will not leak. Good luck with the ports, we have the same problem. There is some adjustment if you remove the trim ring you can bend the dog and that will tighten up the port. All of the ports (I have been told) are custom made size for Bavaria. They appear to be a superior port as long as the twist cam doesn't wear down. The twist cam just pulls off so they are very easy to replace if you can get the parts. Good Luck

GP

Oct 8, 2006
- - Aus
TY

John, Thanks for your info. I will certainly progress the stanchion re bedding.

T

Tom

Water leaks in Bavarias

Water leaks I am learning are one of the few faults of the Bavaria.s We have a 38 and have several.....some fresh water....some sea water....process of elimination and checking all connections and line still have not resolved....a constant 3 inches of water below decks. Any Bavaria owners discovered.........predictable design or manufacturing issues leading to leaks.........Bavaria 38 is new.....our first season great on a fine performing boat. Two issues.............very difficult leaks to detect and a slight list starboard which allows standing water on stern deck despite attempts to offset with ballast or weight....seems to be a permanent list starboard. any clues?

B

BAVR40N

I have a Bavaria 40 and didn't experience any water leaks when we just recently brought it from Gosford to Hobart. I would be interested to compare notes if you are still monitoring this thread. ccuthbert@islandtechnology.com.au.

T

Tony Lyon

Fresh Water in Bilge just forward of companion way

This is very much a parallel to a thread we had over in the mail list a while back. We have a 2005 Bavaria 32, and over the last two seasons I've noticed an odda mount of definitely fresh water mostly in the bilge compartment just forward of the companion way stairs/engine room. The engine bilge is bone dry, which adds to the mystery. The best lead or idea i have so far is that there is a small leak in the fresh water system. I have yet to crawl over all of the connections, but this makes the most sense. Now I just have to track it down. Several folks mentioned leaks from a very full water tank, and several mentioned small leaks from around the water heater. As the engine bilge is dry, and presumably water from the tank or water heater would pass through there on the way forward, I suspect a fitting in the galley or head, or possible a junction at the fitting. The tell tale clue is that the water pump cycles occasionally even when not in use, meaning there is some drop of pressure in the lines not created by running water. Also, in the off season, when I tend to not use the water system, the puddle does not grow or if it does it does not grow by much. I'll post if I find the culprit!!

G

Graham Wood

Water divining Bavaria 40 or other!

This was aired some time ago on this site; I may be repeating myself ( or others) Ihad a similar problem but on Bav 40. It transpierd that there was a leak - but it was in a long link plastic pipe which was "buried" from rear heads - downline of pressure cylinder- which crossed along behind the galley and made tracing the fault very difficult. I new piece of pipe seemd to sort it. I understand from my maintenance man that there was a small batch of such faults around on 40s due to poor quality pipe. This sounds like the same. Unless it occures after rain it has got to be internal. If no water loss from engine system loss must be from this supply system. Graham Wood

J

joan

Fresh Water in Bilge just forward of companion way

I have the same problem on my 2002 b-36. After much investigation i sorted the problem in my case. In sumer months and after continuos use of the fridge for some days condensation in the outer surface of the fridge sink creates small quantities of water that migrate under the froor panels to the bilge under companionway. Maybe your case is diferent but in mine i'm sure it's the fridge.

B

Bill

Response to Leak question

I had fresh water under the sole of my Bavaria 34 in the Whitsundays last year. It turned out to be a loose inspection port on the stern fresh-water tank. Also had the same problem on the bow tank a couple of times. It pays to make doubly sure that the inspection ports are properly screwed down after doing an inspection or cleaning the tank. (Also make sure the seal ring is not twisted). REgards Bill

May 31, 2007
- - Bangor N Ireland
Leak - Bav 32

Hi, Try the FW connections on the athwartships panel below the forward end of the aftcabin bunk. If you run a heating pipe through there then the changes in temperature can affect the joints. The water gets from there to the area forward of engine bay without entering the engine bay. Regards, Sidney

N

Nashira

Leaks

Since the fisrt post I have been through all of the deck stantions as best I can, removing them and re beding them in sealant. I have taped up the windows, taped up the deck cleats and even run tape along the inner edge of the toe rail - and I still have water ingressing. The main ingress is somewhere in way of the bulkhead bewteen the aft cabin and the galley area, Stb side. Water dips down from the deck to shell seal / toel rail and ends up in one of the hanging lockers and also in one of the storage spaces just behind the Stb side after bed seat. I have fixed a couple of leaks in the cockpit drains, which were allowing water to get in to the ER and I have found that the gen set syphon breaker was leaking - this is now fixed. Apart from the toe rail?? or wherever the leaks are I am dry! It's really frustrating as no matter what I do I can't stop the bloody ingress of water. I'll just have to keep on keeping on!

N

Nashira

Water Inress

I can now report that having completed all stantion re bedding twice, I have solved the water ingress problem. The boat is now tight! Thanks to all for the advices. Best regards, Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.