WATER IN THE ENGINE AREA

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K. Guidry

My 1982 Hunter 30( purchased earlier this year) accumulates water in the area just below the engine (maybe 1'' or 1.5'') but it only happens when i am motoring downwind. Water seeps over the lip of the companionway step door/lid and washes across the sole of the boat eventually finding it way into the bilge. If water is coming in thru the stuffing box, would it accumulate in the engine compartment? I've read somewhere that only a couple of drops of water should make it thru the stuffing box when everything is in order. Also can I do something to have this area drain directly to the bilge without violating some fed dumping law? Thanx!

P

Paul Akers

Mine has some

On my '88 37 there is a "catch" pan below the engine that slopes down from the stuffing box. As the stuffing box drips, it runs down into this pan/basin. It eventually fills up and reaches a drain hole that drops into the bilge to be pumped. At 6 drops a minute, it takes a while for the water to accumulate. I usually just sponge it out every once in a while. The stuffing box needs to drip for lubrication of the box. I was told by a mechanic that 10 drops a minute is adequate while motoring. If more drips, no problem, but an adjustment may be in order. This can be done by you. The type of boxes vary, so you will need to ask around about how to do your particular boat.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Give me a break...

Mr. Guidry, there may be water coming from the stuffing box, but I also suggest you look at the vacuum break between your raw water pump and the mixer elbow. It has been the culprit many times for me when the break salts up and stays open. I went through three before I found a satisfactory one. You will have to have someone at the helm and you with a flashlight all over the engine to really find the source. Watch your fingers near the belts! Good luck, RD

L

Len O'Connor

Drill a Hole!

The pan under the engine in the early Hunter 30's has no provision to drain away any accumulated water from the stuffing box. I drilled a 1/4" limber hole at the forward end of the pan to allow this water to drain into the bilge. I know this is probably not "kosher" as you could be allowing some oil into the bilge, but it was the best solution I could find. Just take the floor board off that covers the bilge area and you will be able to see that you are safe (never, ever drill without checking) in drilling in this area. Fair winds, Len

K

Karl Berntson

"77 H30 with same problem

I have the same problem, but I don't think the water is coming from the stuffing box. If you take a close look, you will find that the area below the stuffing box drains directly to the bilge through a channel below the pan under the engine. The water in the engine pan tends to get oil residue in it and I wouldn't want that in the bilge even if it was kosher. It would just add slime to the bilge. I resort to sponging it up on occasion. So far I haven't had enough water there for it to overflow onto the cabin sole. Water leaks can be very difficult to find, but I think you better find where it is coming from, since it sounds as if you have more than just a few drops coming from somewhere. I just had to have the starter rebuilt because it was loaded with salt, as if salt water had been leaking into it, but there is no water lines on that side of the engine, so I have no clue as to where it came from. I'm just mentioning this to indicate what additional problems might occur if know ones aren't remedid. Karl Hunter 30

T

Terry Arnold

water source?

My boat (H33 with 2gm engine) had a mysterious water leak that showed up in the pan under the engine. The source turned out to be a pinhole in the underside of the stainless steel mixing elbow.

D

don z

vacuum break

i vote for the vacuum break as the culprit. on the early 90's hunter 30's the vacuum break is a nylon fitting screwed into a metal inverted "u". the normal engine vibration under way eventually started to shear the connection (10 years later!). what started as a few drip grew until i found it by scanning the engine compartment with a flashlight while underway. do be very careful of the belts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.