Water in the Bow

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vince Sullivan

1987 C22 Sail number 13928 Retractable keel - "Fiona" I bought this boat in Aug 2003 and we sailed in So Lk Mich nine times only before winter haulout last week. As I emptied the boat from stern to bow, I was pretty surprised to find about 10 qts of water in the storage compartment directly under the forward-most part of the cushions in the V berth (the V end). Does anyone have any experience with this? As info, the port-side compartment with the lock down screw showed only trace water as did bilge. Many thanks. Vince Sullivan

T

Ted

You'll need to track down the source . . .

. . . of the water. You found the water in the forward compartment, but it may have come from somewhere else. water tends to move around the boat when you are underway. that is to say that water originating from the rear could work its way forward. When the boat is nice and flat, like at anchor, water tends to stay in the compartment where it originated. the main sources of water are the lock down bolt, the keel cable thru-hull and the sink/cockpit drain thru-hull. Your boat probably has the cockpit drains out the transon, rather than thru the hull. I would make sure you get all of the water out, if you are in and area where it will freeze during the winter months. You could test launch next spring to see if you take on water at rest or only when sailing. Regards, Ted

H

Herb

Had the same problem

Hi Vince i had the same problem. Can not tell what the problem was becasue I took the shotgun approach to the repair. I rebeded the Bow Pulpet, the eye Tang in the front that the trailer hooks to and then finally the cleats in the bow as well. Well no water this year. Not sure which one was the problem but one of them was. Hope your's is as easy to fix. Herb

A

Andy

yet another culprit

could be the hose that connects the anchor locker drain to the through-hull fitting on the portside. The hose itself can get briddle and needs replacing or it could be the connectors/ hose clamps. Also, how about the plate on top of the bow where the forestay/roller furler is attached to. Too much tension on the backstay can actually pull the forward section of this part off the bow.(I've seen ants crawl in and out through that space....) In any case, with the boat out of the water, a garden hose should show you the way if you dont want to rebed everything. Good Luck Andy

V

Vince Sullivan

Water in Bow

Many thanks. Vessel is bone-dry and covered for the winter. 2-4 inches of snow expected tonight. I very much appreciate your insights and plan to execute the investigative/corrective actions in the spring. Rgds Vince

L

Lauraine

When we fist got our C22, we had the same problem.

We discovered the bow pulpit and stem fitting needed to be rebedded. We did that and no more leaks up front.

V

Vince Sullivan

Thanks, Lauraine. I've added your thoughts to my March 2004 investigation list. Rgds Vince

M

Matt

Bow Eye

I have the same problem in my "new" '79. I suspect it is the bow eye. It has some type of silicon sealant around it and it is fairly loose. The hardware on the inside is also rusted.

B

Barry Broyles

Water in bow

I had the same problem with my 1973 C22 and tracked it to the windows leaking and the water running forward to the V berth and winding up in the compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.