water in engine?

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Good morning- I have a Universal m25xp on an ‘87 Cat 30 trbs. For the last month or so when I shut down the engine I can hear water trickling back into the muffler. Shutting the cooling water intake valve stops the trickling. A couple times, when the valve wasn’t closed soon enough, the first spit of water out the exhaust is huge. Yesterday, I found that I had forgotten to close the intake valve and the engine would not turn over. Is it possible for water left between the muffler and the exhaust exit to flow back into the muffler? And in such volume that it finds it’s way back into the exhaust manifold and into the engine? Has anyone else experienced this? Ideas on a cause? Thank you for any insight.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Yep. Is it a glow plug engine if so pull the plugs rotate over then reinstall and start. You need to replace exhaust riser and anti siphon valve to stop that problem

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree with anti siphon valve, but don’t see a need to replace riser unless it has problems.
Make sure you drain the muffler before doing anything else.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
It was the anti-siphon valve (duckbill was shot) on the vented loop. New valve and no more siphoning back. Thank you for that suggestion. We did get it started yesterday by employing the decompression lever, letting it sit for a day and also the glow plugs helped burn it off.

Jimski

May 20, 2015
Catalina 30 Seabrook
My C30 had this problem as well. Water back flowed all the way into the cylinders and through the rings into the crank. The problem was much worse after heeling hard on a starboard tack. Burying the tow rail will put the top of the riser under the water line. I installed an extra tall riser in the space of the galley drawer and have not had a problem since.

Change the oil if any water made it to the crankcase. In my case there was so much water in the crank that turning the engine over pumped water out the dipstick. Before I realized what was happening, the water sat in the crank for 2 months while I was unable to sail and the engine seized. I now have a new(er) engine.