Water in cabin

Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
We were sailing our 310 heeled over sharply. On returning to dock water was in the bilge, port storage areas and the head floor. For the amount of time we were out it was a lot of water. Question is where did the water come in from? Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it?
Thanks Cloyd

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Had that problem with my CT-37. Turned out that the head sink drain backed up and flooded the floor at a certain angle of heel. Closed the thru-hull when sailing after that.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
What do you mean by "port storage areas"?

Starting at the bow, you have the small cabinet under the "TV shelf", the under settee storage, two back settee storage holes, the shelf next to the settee, the small pantry cabinet, the medicine cabinet (either one unit or two based on the year), under the head sink, the lazarette, the under laz shelf at the foot of the rear berth and the rear laz where the battery charger is located. Depending on where you are finding water it could be different sources.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Head intake is another likely source of the water if there's no vented loop in the line and the toilet is left in the "wet" mode. See photo and the installation instructions for your toilet for the correct location. It should NOT be installed between the pump and the bowl...it belongs between the pump and the bowl, to replace the short piece of hose the toilet mfr uses and needs to be 6-8" above waterline at max heel, not just when the boat is at rest...which on most sailboats puts it 2-3' above the bowl (see photo).

intake vented loop location.jpg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Which tack and how much heel? I have frequently seen my side portlights under water when heeled. I joke that the admiral likes to watch the fish swim by.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Um, does the word "reef" apply???

I have buried the side port lights on many occasions. I once had water over the starboard rail. I found reefing reduced the angle of heel and boat speed didn't seem to suffer. I also found out that day the Admiral HATES it when the boat "leans over". I hear about that day several times a year.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Catalina 310 Marina del Rey, CA
Thanks for your responses. I'll be sure to close sink drain. I'm still wondering how the water got into the storage areas on the port side. We were heeled over and the rail must have been in the water.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thanks for your responses. I'll be sure to close sink drain. I'm still wondering how the water got into the storage areas on the port side. We were heeled over and the rail must have been in the water.
Reference Jesse's questions. Is this the storage area in the salon? In the head? In the cockpit? In the aft cabin? Do you see any evidence of leakage at the hull portlight or chainplates? We'd all like to figure this out, to help you and ourselves when this happens to our boats.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Peggie,

Go back to your original post on this thread. That is the source of confusion. "It should NOT be installed between the pump and the bowl...it belongs between the pump and the bowl.."

For the record, the vented loop on the C310 is in the correct location, between the pump and the bowl. It goes up beneath the cabinet. This makes changing the duckbill a chore.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In the average vessel there are many gallons of water trapped in the hull stringers below the sole; heeling the boat excessively will surely release some of this water into the bilge. Not familiar with the C-310 but if the bilge is shallow it could account for much of the water spilling out into the cabin sole.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Peggie, Go back to your original post on this thread. That is the source of confusion. "It should NOT be installed between the pump and the bowl...it belongs between the pump and the bowl.."
Maybe she meant to say "it belongs between the bowl and the pump"? :biggrin:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Go back to your original post on this thread. That is the source of confusion. "It should NOT be installed between the pump and the bowl...it belongs between the pump and the bowl.."
Oooops...I should have read it before I posted it. That should have read : "...should not be installed between the THRU-HULL and pump...." No wonder you were confused!
Reason it shouldn't be between the thru-hull and pump: it would interfere with the pump's ability to prime because pumping would pull in air. I've seen dozens of posts over the years in which the poster said it was necessary to put his thumb on the hole in the top of the loop to get the pump the bring in any water.

--Peggie