Water in Bilge

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin Free

I was sailing our '84 245 in 25knot winds and noticed water (about a quart) under the starboard seat in the cabin. When on a starboard tack the water did not appear on the port side. The previous owner said the scupper was always dry. I haven't taken the floor up to inspect the keel head but all looks well under the boat around the keel. Any thoughts. Is the water coming in through the centerboard slot because we were sailing her so hard? Is this a common problem with this boat? Does anybody know how things are laid out under the cabin floor? Is there some kind of seal for the centerboard rope that could have failed?

J

jon redifer

water in cabin

Martin, You may want to check your keel bolts. When I first got my 245, I had a small but steady leak around several of the keel bolts.. only came in when sailing, so I suspect it came up thru the centerboard slot when sailing hard. I have a section of floor in the middle that pops out so it was an easy fix for me to loosen the keelbolts, reseal them, and then retighten them..obviously, you don't want to do them all at once unless sitting on the keel on the hard... there is no seal that I am aware of on the centerboard rope as it comes up thru the mast support in my boat, and exits at the bottom of the mast. Jon

Aug 9, 2005
Beneteau 373 Baltimore
Keel bolts

Thanks for the info Jon. I have my 245 in the barn for the winter. I will check the keel bolts after I figure out how to get under the floor. Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.