Thanks all
Dan
Shogun
Yami 33
San Juan Islands

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dan..
Why would you elect to carry two types of energy consuming systems onboard (Propane and Diesel) to heat water?

I know that while I sail, that frequently the bearing I desire to cruise is dead into the winds of the PacificNW. That is if the wind gods are favorable. In such conditions I resort to the use of my iron genny. The diesel heats the engine water and when shared through my water heater it heats my 6 gal water tank. A two-fur one. With good insulation on the tank, the water stays hot for about 24-36 hours. If I am sitting at anchor and I need water hot water for cooking, it is a quick boil on the stove. This minimizes my propane consumption to cooking.

If in a marina I can utilize the electrical heating coils in the tank rather than burning propane.

My experience over the past 7 years has been positive.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I had a trimaran I had a propane fridge/freezer partially mounted so that any leaking propane would go directly overboard. That would be pretty difficult to do with a water heater, and I wouldn't be comfortable with it being mounted where I couldn't smell a leak immediately, and no way to vent the gas overboard.
Yes I know, stoves are propane and mounted below, but they are in the cabin one lives in, so a leak should be relatively quickly identified. Stoves also have a remote solenoid shutoff, which would be a major inconvenience IMO for a hot water system. I have investigated the on demand systems, but never used or installed one on a boat.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Be advised that unless your propane water heater is marine specific and/or USCG approved, your insurance company will balk. Propane devices with a pilot light are not allowed on vessels with one exception:

ABYC A-26.5.9 Pilot lights and other automatic ignition devices shall be permitted only in appliances with room-sealed combustion systems.

I'm not aware of an approved propane water heater, but I haven't looked in a while. If you go with a diesel heater, you can add a calorifier to heat water: https://www.bobilvans.co.uk/product-page/calorifier-upgrade-kit