Water Heater replacement for H31

Galind

Sep 19, 2018
Hunter 31 Rockwall
Has anyone replaced their water heater with heat exchanger on a H31? The water heater locker is 16" by 18" behind the galley sink and I haven't found anything that will fit in that space. The original water heater was American Appliance which in no longer is business.

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Has anyone replaced their water heater with heat exchanger on a H31? The water heater locker is 16" by 18" behind the galley sink and I haven't found anything that will fit in that space. The original water heater was American Appliance which in no longer is business.
From defender, will this fit?

Steve

Galind

Sep 19, 2018
Hunter 31 Rockwall
I looked at that one but it is too deep. It would impede on the galley sink drain.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
My H31 has an Atwood EHM6-SM water heater. Looks to be also discontinued with cross reference to Kuuma WHs. In an older post re: this WH, someone suggested Whale Seaward, UK manufacturer. US rep is Port Supply Kemah Tx 281-334-0835 or Donovan Marine Houston (wholesaler) 713- 734-4171 In the mid south region.

good luck in your search and please keep us posted on what replacement model you are able to find. Thanks

• Helpful

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
check out the isotemps, i think they now make a small stainless steel 'slim' unit. at: indelwebastomarine.com

Galind

Sep 19, 2018
Hunter 31 Rockwall
Thanks to everyone for your recommendations. The only water heater I found that would fit was the 5 gal Kuuma from Wholesale Marine. It was still a bear to install because of tight space. Works exceptional well and would recommend to anyone having to replace their water heater.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Can you provide kuuma model number you installed? Other than tight space any wiring or plumbing issues.. thanks for the follow up post

Galind

Sep 19, 2018
Hunter 31 Rockwall
I installed the Kuuma 11800, 5 gallon water heater. The previous water heater had the water connections on the top and the connections to the engine coolant were on the side towards the bottom. I could not find a similarly designed heater. The Kuuma has all the connections on the front face with choices of the feet on the front/back or on the sides . In order to have the heater fit and have access to the water and electrical connections, the heater had to be installed with the face/connections towards the engine compartment . The feet are on the sides rather than the front to allow room to move the heater around to make the connections. I was able to use the existing connections from the heater for the hot water lines. The water line from the water pump to the heater was too short and had to be replaced to make the connection. The coolant lines, which are heater hoses, from the engine to the water heater were also too short and were replaced.
Depending on how much you want the heater to run, you may want to install a timer or connect it to a switch. I am going back to install an on/off switch so the heater does not run all the time when it is unoccupied in the slip.

• Helpful