Water heater recommendation

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hi All. I am replacing a 6 gallon water heater. What are your recommendations? Also, the unit I am replacing has a heat exchanger. Is this worth having in your experience?

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Two factors will have an impact on which water heater you choose, the space you have and your budget. When I replaced my water heater a couple of years ago I was limited by the space and had to use an expensive Raritan. If your space is more flexible, then there are other options, some more suited to a frugal sailor.

The heat exchanger is a nice option if time is spent away from the dock and on the hook. If shore power is always available, then it is not necessary. If you do go with the heat exchanger option, be sure to install a check valve on the cold water intake and an tempering valve on the outflow. This will help to prevent scalding. The water in the tank will reach the engine's operating temperature of about 160° F.

I can't speak to other brands, however, the Raritan is well insulated and water staying warm for up to 24 hours.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just changed the water heater in our boat. I put in a Kuuma as it was the least expensive I could find . The one I removed was a Torrid that was installed when the boat was new(1984). I would always get one with a heat exchanger as we rarely spend time at docks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
+1 on the heat exchanger...nice if you are on the move, using the engine some before dropping the hook.

I can’t comment on specific brands. I think my O’Day 322 has an Atwood.I think my previous boat had a Seaward. Had a temp control gizmo go out on the Seaward once, but other than that, no major issues with either one.

As mentioned earlier, size and the space to mount it are important.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I also recommend the heat exchanger option. Here is the link to my thermal mixing valve addition. This is a very essential safety item when heating the water with engine coolant.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
One caveat that I just thought of. On boats with raw water cooled engines, they tend to run cooler and the heat exchanger doesn't always heat the tank efficiently without some modification. Fresh water cooled engines have a higher temperature thermostat and therefore work well. I'm not sure what system you have.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
One caveat that I just thought of. On boats with raw water cooled engines, they tend to run cooler and the heat exchanger doesn't always heat the tank efficiently without some modification. Fresh water cooled engines have a higher temperature thermostat and therefore work well. I'm not sure what system you have.
Yeah, my water is HOT after running the engine!
2GM20F Yanmar.

Greg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I also recommend the heat exchanger option. Here is the link to my thermal mixing valve addition. This is a very essential safety item when heating the water with engine coolant.

A few models are including this feature to prevent scalding the owner. Definitely don’t wanna scald the owner! Certainly not the Admiral!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I added the tempering valve to my B323. I think it is set for 38 C , but is adjustable. With the valve, I have more heated water Sunday morning after sitting on the hook all night.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Replaced our original 1991 six gallon Seaward hot water heater with heat exchanger a few years ago with same. We spend lots of time on the water during the year with several extended cruises (two months plus) and seldom any marina time or access to shore power. We remain pleased with what we have and the versatility of the heat exchanger helps.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I bought my boat she had a Seaward heater of unknown age and a habit of leaving a bit of water on the deck I used to slide into the engine compartment and service check the oil and coolant before starting the engine. Not a lot of water but enough to make you want to change your pants before dropping the lines and heading out to sea. So I did the look for a new heater. It helped to know that my current heater did not keep the water warm thru the night. I looked for one that had a reputation of having los of insulation. I wanted the engine connected Heat Exchanger and a decent AC powered element to quickly provide hot water on demand. I opted for a 6 gallon tank. The unit is square and fits neatly in the same location as the previous heater. Pretty with it’s shine polished stainless case. Water stays hot for 36 hours. Italian Manufactured by Quick. BX Series Water Heater Mfg# BXS2512SL. It got good reviews from the various testing sights.

Good luck.