Water fill

Jul 11, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Keys Boat Works
I just bought a 1987 hunter 28.5 and i have no idea where to fill the water tank.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
At a safe source of fresh water! Just kidding.

Find the tank(s) that are for fresh water. The fresh water pump may be nearby so you can locate them when it is running when you turn on the circuit breaker labeled water pump (or similar). The tank is probably under a bunk and a cover may need to be removed to view it. One end or the other should have a 1 1/2 inch diameter line going out and up from the tank. That is probably the fill line headed for a plate on or near the deck. Many fill necks are on the side deck area and may have lines leading up through the head area or a hanging locker/closet. Our Caliber has the fill in the bow anchor locker since the water tank is under the v berth. That is not the most convenient place for a fill since I need to sit and lean forward while it fills.

The water fill could be in a cockpit coaming locker. Just a thought.

MOST IMPORTANT: Label each fill neck so you do not confuse fuel fill, water fill, and waste pump out. Doing the wrong thing at any of those openings could ruin your day!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that water fill should be on the deck somewhere close to the water tank location look up in the bow area on the deck topside it will take a deck fitting key to open it and close it back tight and should be about 3 inches in round and should have water engraved in it

Rich M

Nov 5, 2007
Hunter 28.5 Annapolis, MD
I have am 85 28.5, the water fill is in the anchor locker! Make sure you thoroughly flush the locker before opening the cap! Enjoy!