Water demand pump question

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Hello folks, I’m Jim. I sold my Hunter and bought a 1987C in C. So of course there is plenty To learn. So everything on this boat is pretty vintage. It’s in immaculate shape. It’s a 35 foot MKIII. So for water pressure it has this prehistoric belt driven 12 V motor pump arrangement. It finally gave up the ghost. We are currently sailing Lake Michigan toward our home port of Manitowoc Wisconsin. I want to replace that pump ASAP with a simple demand Pump. I’m thinking 3 to 5 gallons per minute output, but I’m not sure of the maximum pressure the pump I should Output. I don’t want to over pressure of the PEX plumbing in the boat. If there is a sailor out there who could help me that would be great. I’m at a dock in Manistique Michigan right now. Thank you.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
One of the best water pressure pumps available is a "prehistoric belt driven 12 V motor pump." Ha, ha. Jabsco? It's rebuildable, and will last forever.

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Thanks j is. But you may have missed my question; I only need to know what the safe max pressure should be as I select a new pump. Incidentally my last sailboat of which we lived aboard fr 3 months for 20 years had a demand pum..nt a mechanical with a belt driven pump and it worked flawless..(and the new owner tells me the same still). And for the record my 20 year old fifth wheel RV, which uses the same demand Pump has worked flawless for two decades. So I’m OK with getting rid of the mechanical belt driven device.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks j is. But you may have missed my question; I only need to know what the safe max pressure should be as I select a new pump. Incidentally my last sailboat of which we lived aboard fr 3 months for 20 years had a demand pum..nt a mechanical with a belt driven pump and it worked flawless..(and the new owner tells me the same still). And for the record my 20 year old fifth wheel RV, which uses the same demand Pump has worked flawless for two decades. So I’m OK with getting rid of the mechanical belt driven device.
40 psi

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
There are a number of potable water pumps out there offering up their bull:poop: stories so it's up to you to decide. The max. water pressure would be about 40 PSI and you would want a flow around 3 GPM. Unless you have an onboard jacuzzi and then nothing is ever enough.

It would be a wise decision to cut out a few samples of hot water tubing and se how they stand up to bending and crimping to see if you want to replace or not. I doubt it's PEX as this is not used on boats due to the ability other of other popular systems to be reused and altered without destroying the fittings.