Water damage in the hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2013
Ontario Yachts, Ltd. 22 dry dock
My wife and I recently purchase what we think is an Ontario Yachts Gazelle 22. It appears that after years of neglect and not being properly covered during our long Michigan winters, that water (now ice!) has made it's way into the hull and I am interested in any insight that the SailBoatOwners community can provide as to what we have gotten ourselves into and where to start with the needed repairs?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's a nice boat. Designed by C&C!

Thankfully not complex in hull, interior or systems, so a good chance not much damage due to water and/or the real killer, ice. Pix will help tons.

Apr 8, 2013
Thanks!

That's a nice boat. Designed by C&C!

Thankfully not complex in hull, interior or systems, so a good chance not much damage due to water and/or the real killer, ice. Pix will help tons.
I have not taken any closeups yet as I spent most of my time trying to 'right-the-ship' this past Sunday. Because of the added weight and it being on a make-shift trailer, it recenty slid backwards and tipped back about 30 degrees. We chunked as much ice out of the cockpit as we could, but did not proceed into the cabin since it is a solid block of ice and I was worried about doing more harm than good. I will post the photos that I do have.

Thanks again!

Attachments

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Rock salt will melt the ice. Might take a lot of salt though.
Absent any visible cracking in the hull from the expansion of ice you should be ok.
One potential danger is if water got into any part of the hull that may have been cored with Balsa or plywood. It's usually decks that are cored though since they are usually relatively flat surfaces.
That is a rather alarming angle she is sitting at in her trailer!

Apr 8, 2013
Alarming indeed, show your friends a picture of that and then ask who wants to come help and you will hear the crickets sing!

That worst picture was taken last week when it first shifted off the trailer. Since then I was able to strengthen the cradle that it is resting on, remove some ice and water, lift the back end up about a foot or so, support it at the back and cover it to prevent more water from entering! I never even thought about the rock salt and I have about 20 lbs leftover from the winter.
Thanks!

Last edited:

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
wont rocksalt damge the fiberglass?
at least thats what ive always been told

Apr 8, 2013
Rock salt

wont rocksalt damge the fiberglass?
at least thats what ive always been told

I am not really sure on that. I spent about 45 minutes on Google searching and I now know a lot more about the dangers for rock salt to concrete, plants, dogs etc., but could not find anything related to fiberglass.

Apr 8, 2013
Just got a load of photos that my wife took before the boat tipped off the trailer . . . thought I would share . . .

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Rock salt, any salt is not good for metals but it takes some time for the salt to do its work. A fresh water rinse and wipe down should be sufficient.
As for it harming fiberglass, if that were the case then all of us who sail on salt water would be worried that our boats could melt away below us.
UV light can be harmful to fiberglass; not rock salt, salt water or table salt.

Apr 8, 2013
Wow, that is so obvious, I never even thought of it (probably because I live in Michigan where the only salt is on the road!). Thanks CalebD, I am going to get a 50# bag right now . . . it's still winter here . . . arrrggghhh !!!

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
hmmm, ive always been told you had to use a special resin for the fiberglass of ocean going boats becuz of the salt, guess ill go back to my old highschool and kick my old teachers backside for him...lol
thanks for the info

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
you guys need to listen to other folks instead of the folks ye been listening to--if boats were hurt by salt, then we would all be in trouble, and fg boats would not last as long as they do.
there is no special resin for salt water boats vs fresh.
salt does not hurt fg
salt is actually god for the wood on the boat, especially if that wood is teak.
looks like your workis cut out fro ye...

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Wow, that is so obvious, I never even thought of it (probably because I live in Michigan where the only salt is on the road!). Thanks CalebD, I am going to get a 50# bag right now . . . it's still winter here . . . arrrggghhh !!!
Yes, the question certainly made me chuckle!!!
Salt away!

Status
Not open for further replies.