Water coming in self bailing ports..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2012
When under outboard power we have some water coming up through self bailing ports. Anyone plug these in fair weather?

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
It's not uncommon to get some water coming up under power, I have had it happen a couple times. I don't plug mine and I wouldn't recommend it. If something unforeseen were to happen (e.g. swamped by a large wake) it might cause problems. I did see someone with a Precision 18 that installed one way valves so water could drain but not come in. I will try and see if I can find pictures and I will come back and post them.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Happens to me all the time, we just sit as far forward as possible. It does remind me that every spring, I need to check and reseal around the PVC pipe(3M 4200) on the transom where the cockpit drains dump out .

Jun 30, 2012
Under the cabin floor through the inspection port I can see the hull is full of water. Is that normal or should I keep that pumped out? I see no form of bilge pump.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
There should not be water in that area unless there is a leak of some sort so definitely keep it pumped out. My boat came with a manual bilge pump but I don't know if the older boats did or not. If not you can install one. Have you read Tom Scott's P-18 book? If not, it's a good read and available for free download from:

http://www.precisionowners.com/

Among all the other good information in that book he shows how he installed a manual bilge pump in his P-18.

One of the most notorious leaks on the P18/21/23's are the cockpit drains. In my mind they are the closest thing Precision has to a design flaw and they will all leak eventually. You originally stated that you were motoring and water was coming in the drains (which is not unusual). It seems very likely that when this was happening water was also leaking into your bilge through the drains. Fortunately the repair for the drains is pretty easy. Some thickened epoxy around the inside and outside of the joints ought to fix it. The anchor locker drain is similarly constructed and similarly prone to leaks. The repair is the same. This is also covered in the book.

It's possible that the water is getting in somewhere else but I'd start with a close look at the cockpit drains.

Hope this helps.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Water ballast is used a many trailerable boats. There is a dedicated tank that holds the water. When it is time to trailer the boat the water is drained out and it reduces the weight making it easier to tow. In my opinion the advantages of water ballast are outweighed by the disadvantages. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of reputable boat manufacturers that use water ballast and plenty of satisfied sailors that enjoy those boats. It's just not what I would choose.

The Precisions use lead for ballast. In the P18/21/23 design, the lead is cast into the shoal keel.

Jun 3, 2011
1985 Pearson 303 Pearson 303 RockPort,ME
When under outboard power we have some water coming up through self bailing ports. Anyone plug these in fair weather?
Hi! welcome aboard Matee! I just purchased two removable boat plugs at any supply store or wally's. cheap! However; You will find that where the cord come in from the the keel.. I just stuff a little plastic shopping bag part way down it's shoot and that takes care if the water popping up.. You will stay nice and dry. Just remember to remove it at the end of your trips. What year is your vessel? and what motor do you have? Do you trailer it?

Best Regards; MRStargazer

Status
Not open for further replies.