Water by the starter battery...doesnt drain to the bilge

Oct 29, 2008
Beneteau 37 Wilmington,DE
I had that same issue on my 2009 Oceanis 37, where the deck fill entered the aft water tank. I wrapped some "super tape" around the cracked fitting many times and that solved the problem.

Dec 23, 2006
Beneteau 323 Absecon NJ
If I could get Beneteau to make one change it would be to create a better bilge system so any water could make it to the pump switch "not provided" EASILY ! Remove mini strainer on the bilge pump doubling as the shower drain.In theory water will make its way to the lowest part of the boat where the pump could pump it out thru lots of compartments, " if you live that long"
Think " Mold and mildew aside from safety"

Nov 24, 2012
If I could get Beneteau to make one change it would be to create a better bilge system so any water could make it to the pump switch "not provided" EASILY ! Remove mini strainer on the bilge pump doubling as the shower drain.In theory water will make its way to the lowest part of the boat where the pump could pump it out thru lots of compartments, " if you live that long" Think " Mold and mildew aside from safety"
Interesting - you don't have weep holes in the floor grid? I've had them on all of my Beneteau's including my 2006 423. FYI I also replaced the float switch for the bilge pump with a smaller electronic switch that fits in the bilge. By the time the water level would flip the float switch on I'd have a lot of water in the bilge. First thing I did on my last two boats.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
The reason it doesn't drain into the bilge is the same reason the engine pan doesn't drain into the bilge.. so that it retains any oil or fuel that might slop over from the engine pan.

Nov 24, 2012
The reason it doesn't drain into the bilge is the same reason the engine pan doesn't drain into the bilge.. so that it retains any oil or fuel that might slop over from the engine pan.
On my boat the engine pan is the only pan that doesn't have weep holes every other part of the pan/grid does.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
On my boat the engine pan is the only pan that doesn't have weep holes every other part of the pan/grid does.
What boat's that? And where's the start battery? If it's a 423 check it out, the battery is forward of the engine and no limber holes.

Nov 24, 2012
What boat's that? And where's the start battery? If it's a 423 check it out, the battery is forward of the engine and no limber holes.
Not correct on 423. The start battery is located in an aft compartment behind the prop shaft. The house batteries are located forward of he engine compartment and are separated from the engine pan.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
Not correct on 423. The start battery is located in an aft compartment behind the prop shaft. The house batteries are located forward of he engine compartment and are separated from the engine pan.

Any limber holes?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The start battery is NOT the house battery. There is a dedicated start battery aft of the engine in a battery box (mine is agm). The house battery is forward of the engine within the molded fiberglass bilge that you describe, no limber holes.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
For some odd reason Beneteau defines the house battery as the one forward of the engine and the starter battery as the one beneath the aft berth immediately behind the engine. The way that they are wired allows them both to be starting batteries or house batteries depending on how the switches are positioned. The only difference appears to be which batterie is initially chosen for the constant hot leads for the bilge pump etc. some boats have a third battery installed beside the battery under the aft berth. The problem is that the size of the batteries is limited due to the low clearance vertically. In my case with a 323, I nstalled spacers on all of the support surfaces for the aft berth to gain more height for the larger battery case size.

I suppose it doesn't really make any difference as to which is defined as house, and which is engine. They are probably both subjected to plenty of heat when the engine is running.

When I really got a good look at my boat's engine pan, I realized that there was not a weep hole to allow drainage to the bilge,and that is understandable due to the potential for oil to get into the bilge. I do keep an oil absorbent pad under the engine just in case of a drip and to keep it clean anyway.

In regard to the comment about water intrusion through the hatch, I suppose it is possible that water could get in that way with no dodger. However, I sail with no dodger and have not seen that as a source of significant water intrusion.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 343 Saint Helens, Oregon OR
On my 343, that area does drain to limber hole which eventually drains to bilge. I check and pump it out with 3/4 hose jammed into shower drain ot shop vac. Source seems to be back up from bilge and leaky hoses at hot water heater. Also from pressure washing cockpit and companionway.
I recall calculating about 7 gal per inch of water in sumps draining to bilge.
Another source is rain water leaking through ports if not tightly clamped.
I currently have leak in panorama but too cold to recaulk so will tape down a tarp.