Water Ballast

Apr 13, 2014
Catalina 25 Tall Rig Lake Guntersville
I'm looking at a Hunter 23.5 with water ballast (1,000lbs). How reliable is the ballast in this boat. Any issues with the 23.5 with the ballast or elsewhere?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We have a '99 H260 with water ballast. A fellow club member has a 23.5 water ballast. We both like our boats. Water ballast has its pros and cons but I'm pretty happy with our purchase.

Oct 27, 2012
Hunter / Pearson H19 & 1987 Pearson 31-2 Tarpon Springs
Water Ballast, but why?

I'm looking at a Hunter 23.5 with water ballast (1,000lbs). How reliable is the ballast in this boat. Any issues with the 23.5 with the ballast or elsewhere?
Now I'm certainly not saying that they are no good, I'm just wondering why you are looking for one.

The Good:
You don't have that extra 500-800 pounds to haul, launch and retrieve. Really, other than that there are none.

The Bad:
The ballast area takes up precious interior room, the ballast tank / liner is a problematic area too; leaking, cracking (especially in cold weather areas), ballast valve rusting away or leaking, foul odors if not drained and cleaned properly, and the issues are even worse if you have (and most of these do) a swing keel, which lends itself to a whole set of other issues, etc.

I would ONLY be looking for one of these types if you are planning on trailering the boat, and even then if you can tow a slightly heavier and taller boat (non-retractable keel) you will get a much better boat (in both interior space and performance.

FYI, I am speaking from experience as I actually own a H19 and purchased is out of need rather than desire. I don't have the funds for a 28' + boat, dock fees are over $350 per month, and I wanted to be able to transport it. Other features I was looking for were the availability of a cabin (albeit a small one) and I don't have a big truck to haul it around. It is a lot of fun although I won't be entering it into any races...

Dec 23, 2013
Hunter 23.5 and 27, 2006 Redbud Marina
Hi, I own a Hunter 23.5 (Also a newer Hunter 27). The 23.5's are great boats! The only problem I've had is the ballast gasket leaks and that is only problematic if you leave the boat slipped year round (I do). The water ballast sailboats blow the water out and then tighten the valve when the weather is cold enough to freeze the lake, the water seeps back into my ballast because of the leak. I used a West Marine "Cube" heater and it kept the ballast from freezing. The cockpit on the hunter 23.5 is larger than most other sailboats of any size, fun party boat. Reef early, a little tender in high winds.
Martin in Tulsa

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Old43salt;

There is a lot to be said but since I am the one as a dealer now retired heavily involved with the water ballast particularly the 23.5 having sold nearly 1/4 of the production line, introduced it along with the 19 and so on, I will chime in.

The 19 is a much smaller boat in comparison to the 23.5 although there is only 4.5 feet difference. The popularity of the 19 did not last long for that reason and cost as it nearly cost the same to make the 23.5. The decision to stop production of the 19 was left up to me and I chose thumbs down and Warren Luhrs went along with my decision to stop production.

With any boat, they have to be maintained and if not, specific gear which will wear out to include gaskets, drain bail plug, sails and so on need to be replaced. Same with a car. As for the foul odor that is emanating from the ballast tank, many folks do not realize that micro organisms will grow without oxygen or sunlight being present and when they die, they will stink; thus, the smell in the water ballast tank. A simple solution is to put Ordorless pills into the tank via the air hole or add chlorine tablets or some chorolox and that will take care of that. when winter sets in, simply remove the boat from the water as you have a mast raise system which will enable you to get the mast down alone and the trailer is designed so it is easy to get the boat up on it. Just remember to raise the center board when loading and to release but relock the line so it will rest on the keel tray during transport and storage. to leave a boat like that in the water where the water will freeze is absolutely and I will use the phrase from the colonel at Bastoigne,"NUTS". I may step on a few toes on that last comment but to leave any water ballast boat in a lake that freezes over during winter is only inviting trouble.

Like I said, I know these boats too well.

crazy dave condon

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Boats are designed based on tradeoffs; in trailerable boats we are reaching almost all the way up to the limit that a conventional personal vehicle or truck can tow. Fuel mileage on the road is also now of great concern. By using water ballast that is jettisoned for trailering we can have a bigger boat for the same tow weight and that is the essence of the design. It also makes for easier launching and retrieving in more shallow ramps. Water ballast is usually couple with a center board to aid in reducing sideways drift under sail but this center board can be raised and the boat motored into pretty shallow water. Now these advantages do no come free, a properly operating ballast tank is needed and regular maintenance must be provided for it. It is also important to follow the manufacturers instructions for filling and draining the tank as a boat in the water with an empty or just a partiall filled tank can easily capsize with dire consequences. If you have the need for a large and light trailerable, easy to launch and retrieve and are willing to keep the ballast tank in good working order then that may be the best design for you.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
We had a 1995 H26 water ballast boat and absolutly loved it. There are maintanance items that must be performed the same as any other boat. They are well thought out in the interior planning and beat any other boat in this size range for room. Some people think they are tender when sailing in bigger winds but if properly reefed for wind speed there is no problem. Flat is fast when sailing this size boat.
If the boat checks out structurely then buy it. You will love it!
Ray

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks to all for all your help to Bob. I actually know the marina and where he would launch. I spoke with him today at length and answered a lot of questions and he is moving forward with the purchase. It sounds like the boat is in good shape and he has my contact information. I have for security purposes as always destroyed his contact information except for Kermit. Kermit and I have become friends over this site and I plan to visit with him soon to help him load up his 260 on the trailer form an old fart, me.

dave condon