Water ballast valve on H26

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
I am replacing the seal on the water valve on my H26. It’s on the trailer and I have let it down as far as the bunks will let it go.
My question is the lower plate threaded or is it welded to the all thread. Threaded would make life much easier. Otherwise I think I will have to lift the boat to get the assembly out the bottom. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Plate is welded. If you search the archives you will find many instances of owners who replaced the seal without fully removing the plate. materials have ranged from red rubber, old mouse pads, neoprene from old wet suits to goop sealant poured onto the plate with a masking tape dam to retain it. In most cases the seal is cut to the center then slid around the threaded rod.

Nov 14, 2018
Just crawled out from under. It is definetly welded. Short of jacking the boat up a split seems to be the best answer. Thanks

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest a messenger line of sorts if taken out completely. At the same time look at the neoprene on the washer below wing nut and put the retaining ring back

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had a Mac26S and never touched mine. What's the worse that could happen if it's not a complete seal? Water seeks its own level. You will not lose your ballast or sink the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Justin_NSA

Being very much involved I can report water ballast was lost if seal is defective and will affect not only performance but also stability. It was tested out besides the owners reports

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
@Justin_NSA

Being very much involved I can report water ballast was lost if seal is defective and will affect not only performance but also stability. It was tested out besides the owners reports
A trickle maybe while you are heeling, but water will find its way back in when flat.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Just crawled out from under. It is definetly welded. Short of jacking the boat up a split seems to be the best answer. Thanks
A trick I've used is to lower the trailer tongue all the way, then put a picnic table under the transom and then lift the tongue up high (chock the tires). This will raise the aft of the boat off of the trailer and leave it sitting on the picnic table. You will only need a few inches to get the plate completely off.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sorry to disappoint you but repaired many seals and there were times on a long same tack that stability became an issue. Experienced that several times early on

You are correct about water coming back into the ballast tank when level but when it comes to safety no matter if neglible or serious, I err on safety and fix. It is a decision to be left up to the owner

Nov 14, 2018
Well, I have done the valve reseal as rgranger suggested. After cleaning the valve surface and making a masking tape damn around seal I poured about 1 1/2 tubes of goop on the plate. It leveled nicely and appears to be a nice pliable seal. Took about 45 min. Thank you all for the help