Water ballast valve gasket replacement

Dec 23, 2013
Hunter 23.5 and 27, 2006 Redbud Marina
Hi All, New to the forum. My 1994, 23.5 water ballast is not sealing and I believe it's the gasket on the drain valve. I keep it slipped year round. The marina is going to do a bottom job and replace the gasket and centerboard line. There are many water ballast boats at the marina, most of which leave their boats in the water year round, including freezing weather. The lake freezes over about once every three or four years. These owners take a small blower and purge the ballast of water and replace it with air. It actually works for these sailors (I know what you're thinking!). Anyone else have clever ideas?:

Dec 8, 2011
Hunter 23.5 New Orleans
With the boat out of the water, these are easy jobs, particularly renewing the gasket. I glued together two mouse pads, cut them to size and using 5200, I think, glued them to the stainless valve plate, with the foam side of a pad facing up to seal against the bottom of the boat. Works a treat. Check this forum for detailed instructions on dropping the centerboard. Let the boat yard see the guidelines on how its done, if you choose not to do it yourself.

Best Christmas wishes

Hugh

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I kept my 1994 23.5 in the water for a couple of winters on Kaw Lake. I just used a small electric heater to keep things from freezing.

My water ballast valve would never seal initially. I thought it was the gasket, but the valve was actually misaligned, which kept a 1/8" gap on one side when fully tighten. I had to drill a new hole for the threaded rod. The valve worked very well after that.

Hopefully yours is just a bad gasket.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
follow hugh straub's advice. pull the boat and make the repairs. No need to remove the threaded rod that is welded to the circular flange in order to install a new gasket. Red Bud Marina, which lake is it on?

Be very careful if using a pressure hose to force water out of the tank. I would pull the boat to make the repair and then close off the waterballast tank and if you want to put it back into the lake, do so but if not using, store the boat. Not sure if you are up north or in the middle of the country.

crazy dave condon

Dec 23, 2013
Thanks for all the good info! Lake Oologah is just north of Tulsa, Ok. The lake is partially frozen right now. Once the roads cleared of ice enough to get to the boat I discovered a little icy slush forming in the ballast. Used a West Marine cabin heater. Ambient temperature was around 5 degrees, heater kept cabin about 40. Water ballast had no ice the next morning. The water ballast owners use a small vacuum in reverse mode and blow air into the ballast to remove water. It takes about 5 minutes, no problems for the owners whose tanks are sealed properly. Redbud is one of the best sailboat marinas in OK. They are going to pull the boat and repair it.
Thanks all for responding, especially Crazy Dave, I love your support!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
How does one determine if the gasket is leaking? Also it would seem to me that a small leak would be relatively inconsequential as the ballast tank would refill itself over time. Am I correct in this? (I have no experience with water ballast. )

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Boatnic;

Just as a reminder, make sure you read Fred's concern as it is a viable concern as you should check the water tank often in that cold environment. If at all possible, I would pull the boat out anyway. What would happen God forbid if you were in an accident, on a trip, etc.. and it would freeze up. Just a suggestion sir.

If the temp. does warm up during the day substantially, it well heat the cabin in essence to help keep the tank from freezing. Again, this has to be monitored. Take care and God Bless.

crazy dave

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Actually my original question was from the perspective of normal (above freezing) operation but a small leak would definitely be of concern if one is counting on the ballast to remain dry to prevent problems during freezing weather.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Fred'

I am not sure where your marina is located. If you are above 32 degrees F, then there is no concern. IF the weather deteriates say for a few days down to 25 degrees F, then I found that was not really a concern. Why? Most folks do not realize two things. First, if the water is not freezing over, then the ambient water temp. is higher than surface temp. Secondly, during the day, the cabin is heated up by the sun thus warming up the inside of the cabin which defers the water ballast tank from freezing which takes a long time to do so much longer than one cold evening. I hope this answers your question. My dealership use to include a location in the mountains of Virginia and it got cold many times at Smith Mt. Lake.

However, I always advocate removing the boat from the water at the end of the season for safety and cleanliness unless you are constantly using the boat and/or do not have a trailer.

crazy dave condon

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 22 Lake Eufaula
If you have a water ballast boat, why not just take some of the water out and replace it with anti-freeze? Seems like that would be a much easier solution? I know I'm a newbie. So don't be mean...

Dec 23, 2013
Hi, No problem, I've only been a member of this forum for a short time myself. I notice you're at Lake Eufaula. If that's the one in Oklahoma, does your lake freeze over? I know the lakes in the northern part of the state freeze and some in the southern don't. Anyway, RV antifreeze (pink stuff) is about $4.OO PER gallon times 120 gallons and is not okay to release into lake water. The radiator antifreeze is especially toxic to release into lakes (and illegal). So I'm getting the boat pulled soon, gasket repaired, and purchasing a trailer to get it out of the slip when needed.
Once Again, Thanks to all of you!!