Water-ballast funny story

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
A funny story that also may help owners if they are “in the same boat“, so to speak…

We launched our 23.5 a few months ago for a weekend sail. Was very rough at the dock, had a hard time but made it out.

Could not seem to get the water ballast valve to close. It did not want to screw up to its normal location. I lowered the rear swim step (my favorite feature of this boat), put my diving mask on, and jumped into the 49 degree Puget Sound water to have a look. There was an OYSTER SHELL FRAGMENT jammed between the plate and hull. Got a screwdriver and pried it out, watched it float to the bottom and off we sailed with a sealed chamber….I was confused how a shell fragment could get there, but as it was rough at that dock I assumed a wave had washed it up off the bottom when the boat was at the dock.

Then it happened again, about a month later. Same thing. This time we were in shallow water, so I swam down to get the shell after I had pried it out. Brought it up on deck for a closer look. When we looked at it closer, we realized it was a chunk of white fiberglass filler paste with sharp edges.

So. What is happening, I am pretty sure, is that the filler paste Hunter used to glue the water ballast structure into the boat is coming loose in areas inside the tank, and when the tank it drained on the previous trip the chunks are being sucked into the valve and trapped.

It has not happened a third time. There is a finite amount of this paste and I am not worried about it, especially as I know how to fix it.

Maybe this post will help others with this mystery. Be safe on the water!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a sailboat dealer, there were times I went into cold water becoming a member of the Polar Bear Club.

The hull is designed for water to enter and leave which is molded in when laying the hull. You have a stainless steel plate with a threaded rod welded to that plate. On the top side of that plate is a neoprene gasket glued into place with 5200 sealant. That rod protrudes through a hole in the tank lid located inside underneath the bottom step that has a washer with a wing nut to close or open the water ballast tank. The top washer under the wing nut should also have a neoprene gasket in place underneath it.

First look at the bottom gasket is missing any of the white 5200 and /or gasket itself. If nothing detected,, look underneath in the centerboard housing with the centerboard down for any damage and report back here noting my attention. I know the boat all too well

crazy dave

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
No, this is not a gasket or damage to the centerboard or trunk…..it is a lightweight filler/bonding paste that has detached from inside the tank…..happened twice….

Anyway, it’s no big deal. Just thought others may find it interesting/insightful….

Sane Dave
Seattle

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I gave the original plan for the 23.5 to Hunter worked closely with the engineers to bring out the 23,5. If you are not experiencing any water leaks, then it has to be excess 5200 sealant that has com loose from where the water ballast tank lid is attach to the hull from your description

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
No. This is not 5200. I have seen and examined dried 5200 many times.

This is a very lightweight polyester filler putty of some type. Has very sharp edges, like an oyster shell would have. 5200 would not have these features….would be much heavier.

Not really important, though, what it is…..just thought others would find the story interesting, and maybe be helped if they are in a similar position of having it jammed in the drain holes for the tank like I had…

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If anyone should know would be me but you have me stumped unless marine putty was used in sealing the tank lid to the hull which excess broke off. Remember I asked if there were any leaks with no response

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
You didn’t really ask (you just wrote “If no leaks…”…..but I am happy to answer anyway….

No leaks…..