Water Ballast Catalina 250

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Live in low tide area and difficulty getting to ship channels in Gulf. I am not a trailer sailor and plan to moor the boat in the back yard access to the Gulf. Rather than stick with a Cat 22 Swing Keel at 24" Draft, I keep going back to the 250 Water Ballast. From what I have read, the WB Boat does not do well up wind needing to add extra ballast ( +200lbs. forward ) to correct this problem. What is of course convenient with the 250 WB is the 20" Draft. We have a lot of Sand Bars in the Gulf where beaching and hull diving clean up is an advantage. All that said, I am concerned about leaving salt water ballast in the boat for the sailing season ( Florida typically 10-months out of the year ). I have read about treatments to the water in the ballast, the ballast area membrane separating and leaking and a lot of other hoarer stories. I am a seasoned long ago sailor, had a Cat 25 in 1984 and all this quibble is really about is wanting a 250 but realizing the Cat 22 SW is the best scenario. Raising and lowering the mast is not my idea of a full day of sailing, so the trailer would only suffice in emptying the ballast, storing the boat for two months then back in the water...........

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Looking for an experienced sailors opinion. Not an answer to a question. Maybe I didn't make myself clear..................Appreciate your patience with those of us who are not as well informed.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Opinion on what? treating the ballast tank? I had a MacGregor 26S with water ballast that I kept in the slip. I used pool chlorine in the tank. No problems.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
I suppose you could install a bilge pump to empty the water ballast without having to trailer it. Also as owner of a Mac 22, I have envy of her larger sisters.

Chip V.
s/v Samd Dollar

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I suppose you could install a bilge pump to empty the water ballast without having to trailer it. Also as owner of a Mac 22, I have envy of her larger sisters.

Chip V.
s/v Samd Dollar
I used to have a Mac 22... fun little boats that can take a surprisingly large beating. I've sailed mine all up and down the NC coast line (the inner banks).

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Sailing friend bought new Cat 250 in 1997. He always felt more comfortable sailing on my 87 Cat 22 when the wind picked up to over 20 mph. This was all on freshwater lakes. And the height inside the cabin was not as high because of the water tank under your feet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ask Paul at Masthead Enterprises in St Pete who use to sell them or send me a private message as I too use to sell them now retired