WATCHING PAINT DRY!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The roll and tip method of painting will yield a very smooth finish as good a spraying.

If you are using a mohair roller (foam roller will dissolve in the paint) wrap the roller in masking tape and peel it off, this will remove any loose fuzz and lint before it ends up your nicely painted hatch. Redtree Rollers (Amazon Link) hold up well to the solvents.

• Helpful
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
That looks great.
Did you sand off the old nonskid or just fill it in?
What color Brite side are you using?
Are you going to put nonskid on it? Not that it really matters for that section.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Thanks everyone for the compliments. Still not finished, so let's hold the applause. (Ha Ha)

@Richard 19068 I filled in all the low spots and skim coated the non skid area, then sanded it down to where I thought it was good enough. I then sealed the entire non skid area with epoxy resin as a final seal. It was after the first paint application on the non skid part that I found the issue with it being tacky. Dave Lochner has been a great resource for me to understand the blush issue, so I followed his advice and instructions. So far the paint seemed to go on better, cover more evenly and evened out. I'll wait two days and check how well it cured and then apply the next coat with 5% thinners. After that, one more, but paint only. I'm hand rolling it with a 4" x 1" foam roller. The paint color (or colour, as we say in England) is Hatteras Off White (1990). Interlux # 4218 Brightside. I will not be putting non skid back on, well not in the traditional way. I'm going to use SeaDek non slip 5mm closed cell matting. Here is the picture of how it will look. Painting the whole top is just another way of making sure it's all sealed. The painters tape was put on to help it stay flat. In time the temperature in my work shop made it relax. I'm going to apply it at the very end on a warm day and use a rolling pin.
IMG_0983.jpeg

Aug 11, 2011
Final paint done. Now leaving it to fully cure two to three weeks before I apply the non slip pad. For a real amateur, not so bad.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the picture hides many imperfections
When I look and see the imperfections of a project, I remind myself…

Step back 5 ft. Take your glasses off. Are they still there?
No! Great!…
Yes? Damn! Where is the sander and that fine grit sand paper…

Aug 11, 2011
Took advantage of a nice day. Applied the Seadek to the cabin top and then installed the Companion way hatch cover. I also had time to remove the old faux teak panels from port and staboard sides of the entry way. I also took measurements to draft the new side panels. Cleaned up the best I could , capped and taped the holes for the Nicro Solar Vents and covered the boat with tarps again. Just as well, because it's coming down in buckets today. And the forecast is not promising.

Attachments