Waste

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I had PM'd Mark Malden a question about Holding Tank on my 1979 S2 11A, and I apologize to all, it should have been an open topic. I had asked about the placement of the tank on this series of boats. He replied that on his it was up under the vee birth. I read/heard somewhere that there should be an inspection port that should be opened prior to emptying the holding tank. If the vent line is in any way blocked you run the risk of imploding the tank. So now its back over to Berkeley next week to further investigate. Now is the time to ask if there is a recommendation for a Waste gauge? Thanks Hal

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You can get gauges that use sensors bonded to the outside of the tank. No messing with the interior of your holding tank. I have a Raritan setup that monitors up to four tanks, but I only use it for fresh water and holding tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
First, it should NOT be necessary to take the v-berth apart to open an inspection port just to pump out the tank! Replacing the "vent" thru-hull with an open bulkhead or "mushroom" fitting not only provides a very easy way to prevent vent blockages, but also improves the exchange of air with the gasses in the tank that's essential in preventing odor out the vent when the toilet is flushed.

As for a tank level indicator, the SCAD monitors Scad Tank Monitors are top rated, reasonably priced and available from many sources including Amazon (which may not be the lowest price).

--Peggie

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
This will be the first boat that I have with a holding tank, previously all had Porta Potti's. This one is 30 gal, and my fear is that it will overflow or back up into the head. I don't think that we will fill it in one summer, but I've been around when my stepson uses facilities. The noise pollution is just as bad as the lingering haze that takes a small typhoon to erase. Maybe I'm over-reacting, I'll get Peggie's book and work through it.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If it overflows it will flow out of the vent hose. The scad device that Peggy suggested works well. Mine reads out next to the head and I check it every time I use it. If you can see your tank sides you can put a strong flashlight on the top side facing down and you should be able to see the liquid level through the side. They fill faster than you think.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You should pump way more often then once a season. We would pump out after a weekend on the boat and/or every time a pump out boat was available. As a matter of practice I like to keep as little waste as possible in the tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Maybe I'm over-reacting, I'll get Peggie's book and work through it.
Over-reacting isn't necessarily a bad thing...it's hard to go wrong erring on the side of caution.
I know you'll find my book useful and you'll also have me to answer any questions it doesn't and even clarify those that it does, 'cuz there are no "one size fits all" solutions that apply to every installation.

I don't think that we will fill it in one summer, but I've been around when my stepson uses facilities.
It's easier to fill up a 30 gal tank than you think, 'cuz, unlike a portapotty, a marine toilet uses about a liter of water/flush...making he average flush about .6 gal including flush water. On average each person continuously aboard will put 3 gal/day into it. So it would take one person 10 days to fill the tank...5 days for two people to do it...three people can easily fill it in a long weekend aboard.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Got the v birth opened and I have an aluminum holding tank without any type of cleanout access port. So as soon as I can pumpout we'll find out if it blows up (in).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Replace it! Urine is so corrosive that it can eat through any metal tank, even 316 SS. The first leak (which is always just the FIRST leak) is usually at a weld--a seam or fitting, typically within 5 years while it's gradually turning the bottom of the tank into a colander.

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. There are retailers who sell Ronco tanks, but Ronco sells direct for a much lower price...and they're great to work with.
When looking at drawings it's important to know that there is no top or bottom until the fittings go in, and YOU decide where they go. So rotate, flip in any orientation to find the tank that fit your space. The v-berth is a great location for a waste tank, btw....provided the toilet isn't all the way at the other end of the cabin.

I'll be glad to help you select a tank, specify the fittings locations and work out plumbing runs that will give you a simple-to-use and maintain trouble-free and odor free system. Send me a PM if you want my help.

--Peggie