Waste tank treatments

DockH

May 14, 2011
Abbott 22 Lorain, Ohio
Any suggestions for treatments before and post pump out especially when passenger used it both ways one tie. Was able to just pump it through but want to treat/clean tank

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
just pump it out and if you like squirt some water down the deck fitting to back flush rinse to the tank and maybe put some holding tank additive by sea-land in the tank and make sure your vent is clear and working

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

has anyone used the holding tanks treatment chem used in RV's in their tank ?.... is it safe to use ?... does it keep the smell down ?...

if that is not proper to use, then what would be a good product to use ?

sincerely
Jess

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
We use Odorlos powder for our toilet treatment. If the weather is warm we usually use 2 scoops per tank, once the weather cools down we cut back to a single scoop.

When pumping the tank I like to pump it out and then give it a good rinse (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water and then back flush the vent hose before pumping out the tank again.

If you have odor issues it could be hoses are permeating or you are not getting enough fresh air from your vent, and/or you are not using the best chemicals for your setup.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Any suggestions for treatments before and post pump out especially when passenger used it both ways one tie. Was able to just pump it through but want to treat/clean tank
What do you mean by "passenger used it both ways?" If you mean a passenger committed what to you is the sin of depositing solid waste as well as urine, marine toilets are designed to handle both...and urine can stink just as much if no treatment is added. Solid waste is at least 75% water and therefore dissolves in water quickly. Just make sure to add water to the bowl ahead of solids (use a cup from the sink!)

There's certainly no need to clean and "treat" the tank just because some solid waste went into it...you'd have to sterlize it to do any good anyway. And tank treatments aren't products used to "recover" a "soiled" tank. Tank treatments used correctly are added to tanks that are in use, to prevent odor and break down solids and toilet paper.

If "was just able to pump it through" means your toilet had a hard time flushing it, your toilet pump may be in serious need of rebuilding or replacement. And, you prob'ly need to instruct your guests in the RIGHT way to use the toilet (after you learn how?)...which would include adding water to the bowl ahead of solids and using limited amounts of quick-dissolve TP.

I agree with Steve's recommendation to use Odorlos Odorlos Holding Tank Treatment --available from RV supply stores for a LOT less than marine stores charge. However, I recommend liquid instead of powder because liquids don't have to dissolve, so all of it gets into the tank . Add through the toilet, NOT down the pumpout. Most importantly, read and FOLLOW the directions for use! (You might try that too, Steve...adding more often works a lot better than double doses.)

You're obviously new to marine toilet and tank use and maintenance, and so--unlike a lot of people--you've wisely chosen to err on the side of caution instead finding yourself having to ask for help to heal self-inflicted wounds that could easily have been prevented. Read the your toilet's instructions for use... and you MIGHT want to check out the link in my signature...it's a "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual that should help you learn to relax and enjoy having toilet facilities aboard instead of panicking if they're used.

DockH

May 14, 2011
Abbott 22 Lorain, Ohio
Thanks. I will try the OdorLos.. I think we all know that not all solid waste goes down easily onboard or at home. I assume that's why larger cruising boats have macerators. Here on Lake Erie our cruising is typically short range but FYI I have 23 years experience racing and cruising Lake Michigan and Erie.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks. I will try the OdorLos.. I think we all know that not all solid waste goes down easily onboard or at home. I assume that's why larger cruising boats have macerators.
Macerating electric toilets are popular only because they offer "push button" convenience, no pumping required. But there are more manual toilets on larger boats than you think...and there's a BIG difference in manual toilet "power." Jabsco compact toilets are "entry level," have the least...The Groco HF is stronger.The Raritan PH II (the compact PHC version uses the same pump) has been top rated for decades...it can easily swallow flushes that choke other compact manuals. Then there's the all bronze Groco Model K (about $1000) that can "swallow" a whale!

If your profile info is any indication, you have a small boat...your best option might be a self-contained system--an "MSD" portapotty. "MSD" in the model name means it's designed to be permanently installed and is fitted for pumpout instead of carrying it off the boat to empty. The 5-6 gallon models hold 50-60 flushes...you'd need a 30 gallon tank to hold that many from any manual OR electric marine toilet, and the opening in the bowl is big enough for any solids "deposit." Better yet, there are no moving parts, so no maintenance or lubrication needed, and only plumbing needed is a pumpout line and a vent line. And because it's self contained, you don't lose a third or more of your already limited storage space to a tank and its related plumbing. Total cost isn't much more than just a new toilet. IMO, an excellent choice for any boat up to about 28'. The online store here carries 'em (when you check price, be sure you're looking at the MSD versions: Theford Porta pottie 550P SaniPottie MSD

If you opt to keep what you have, try following the adage "flush early and often." And if it's been more than a year since you replaced the joker valve in your toilet, replacing it will improve it's power considerably. Find the article "joker valve 101" in the archives for the reasons why.

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
I used the OdorLos stuff in my port-a-potty. I had a guest use the potty for a wet #2 event, and then due to weather conditions(and other issues) wasn't able to get back to the boat for 2 weeks. I expected the inside of the small cabin to be monstrous.

There was no smell at all.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Get Peggy's book and read it cover to cover. Then follow her advice. You will be glad you did!