Waste System Diagram

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
New older boat to me has a complex waste system with 2 toilets, Raritan Electroscan system and multiple discharge line-up options from each toilet: 1) overboard, 2) holding tank, 3) Electroscan then overboard OR 4) holding tank to macerator pump then overboard. In an effort to understand the system I started to create an Excel diagram so I can make sure the line-ups are legal for the waters I navigate the boat and where I dock and anchor. Does anyone have a diagram and how do you use it?
1626124373129.png

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Can't offer much advice, except the system seems way too complicated. Simplifying it seems like a good idea.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
2 toilets, Raritan Electroscan system and multiple discharge line-up options from each toilet: 1) overboard, 2) holding tank, 3) Electroscan then overboard, 4) Electroscan to the holding tank, 5) holding tank to macerator pump then overboard.
That nightmare is highly likely to be added to my files as the latest example of an onboard Chernobyl!

Why is it necessary to replace toilets before you simplify it? It's all discharge plumbing...doesn't matter what kind of toilet flushes into it.

--Peggie

Feb 21, 2013
Peggie,

That is the toilet waste plumbing that came with the boat I recently purchased. So I spent exhaustive number of hours photographing and documenting the system. I like the flexibility, albeit may never use it's full potential. For me, the key is making sure the line up is legal. As shown in the diagram, the toilets are currently lined up to the holding tank then to the deck pumpout to ensure the system line up is legal.

I have extensive photos of the system that are very impressive. Happy to post.

This thread was started to learn what others have done to document their waste system.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This thread was started to learn what others have done to document their waste system.
We have done nothing. We have 2 choices, into the holding tank or directly overboard. We also have a portable 12v pumpout That we can use to empty the tank where it is legal to do so.

Feb 21, 2013
.......Why is it necessary to replace toilets before you simplify it?........
Replacing the raw water toilets with fresh water toilets eliminated the smell. That was a priority for my wife. Moreover, the line up from toilets to holding tank then to pumpout makes us legal. Tomorrow the forward toilet gets replaced. Hurrah!!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There are way too much options in that system. Among other things, there's no benefit in sending treated waste to the holding tank because once it goes to the tank it's no longer considered treated waste. So that neither makes it legal to dump the tank inside the 3 mile limit nor does it prevent holding tank odor...'cuz although the ES does reduce the bacteria count to <10/100ml, only one of the li'l buggers has to survive to quickly multiply into a zillion.

The ES can only accept a max of 1.5 gal at a time. So unless the system is equipped with the "hold n treat" controls that meter only that much out of the tank and treating it each time, dumping the tank through the ES doesn't make it legal to do so, but is likely to damage the ES.

You can achieve everything you want to achieve--odor free and legal everywhere--with a much simpler system that'll require a lot less maintenance and repair, not to mention a LOT less hose! And I'll be glad to help you simplify it.

--Peggie