Washington State bans copper bottom paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Well JK and Fst

Enjoy your new regs...

JK, not implementing the solution, because of the 4 excuses you gave is as irrational as anything I have posted. And I am talking about drinking water coming in to the house, just how am I misinformed.....not sewage treatment out flow.

1. Do the math, a >65' boat has substantially more wetted area than a slew of little boats. Exempt him cause there are fewer of them? OK? NOT!

2. Because it costs a bit more to haul? Again I choose to own a 42' and it is a lot more to haul and prep than a 30'. Again do not implement the solution because it may cost a bit more?

3. Cut them a break? They just pass the cost on. Who do I or you pass the added costs, labor or permit fee to?

4.We agree the EPA can do nothing to the Feds or DOD, and really have not been successful getting states or localities to do anything.

With your guys' thinking. WE deserve what we get. Just get out your checkbook and be ready. I'll pass. Then it will be ....oh the EPA is doing that as we speak.

I am sorry, it is either a problem or it isn't. It is either solved for all or it is not.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Copper at the bottom of a marina.

Don't they use copper pipes for drinking water in houses.

Somehow I fail to see the connection where copper underneath my boat is more intrusive than my home's piping for drinking water.

More and more this seems to come down to a power play between marinas who are unwilling to fight stupid overblown regulations and the boat-bottom-cleaner lobby.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I am sorry, it is either a problem or it isn't. It is either solved for all or it is not.
Makes no sense. By your logic, the air pollution in Los Angeles is a problem that needs to be addressed in Boston. WTF?

Or maybe you're just one of those people (and we all know the name they go by these days) that just cannot tolerate the government getting involved in whatever it is you consider to be "your business." Even if that involvement doesn't affect you in the least.

Feb 26, 2011
Don't they use copper pipes for drinking water in houses.
Please read the thread. As previously discussed, the copper pipes that bring water to your kitchen sink do not elevate the level of copper in your drinking water to a point that exceeds government water quality standards. If they did, wouldn't you want something done about it?

Jeezus, what is so mind-bendingly difficult to understand about this?

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
I hate to get dragged into these sorts of conversations because they tend to be divided along party lines, which tend to be divided along deeper lines (such as religion) that are at the core of people's identities. So, it doesn't do much good to talk about facts because people on both sides will selectively interpret (or ignore) the facts as best suits their agenda.

Let me put this out there though. BP just dumped millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf. Why should I, then, be concerned if my little outboard leaks oil? Do I have any evidence that my little oil leak has any real impact on the environment? Or, do I just suck it up and get the leak fixed because I realize that my desire to go boating is not an unalienable right that trumps the risk of contaminating the very environment I am trying to enjoy?

Does that analogy not work for you? How about drinking alcohol while pregnant? Do you abstain from alcohol while pregnant because there is hard evidence that drinking will harm your child? Nope. (In case you're wondering, there isn't. There are only statistical correlations.) You do it because your desire to drink alcohol does not justify the risk.

I'm sorry, but you just cannot argue in favor of copper-based paints for recreational boats. Do we know that banning them will have a positive environmental impact, particular when commercial boats do not have similar restrictions? Nope, but what gives us the right to risk it? Even if no alternative whatsoever existed, putting toxins in the water is not an acceptable consequence of recreational boating.

It sort or reminds me of the jet ski controversy some years ago. Responding to complaints about noise, several attempt to ban jet skis or enforce noise mitigating measures on manufacturers were being discussed (and probably still are). Jet skiers and manufacturers responded by framing the issue as an assault on their right to enjoy their jet skis. No acknowledgement that their "right" spoiled the environment for everyone else.

We Americans get so wrapped up in our rights that we frequently do so with disregard to our responsibilities. I don't use copper paint, not because they are banned, but because it is the responsible thing to do. Does it cost me more? Yup, but that is not the issue. If I can't afford it, I don't get to go boating. The pressure on my pocketbook does not give me the right to be less responsible.

And, frankly it's not much more expensive - a drop in the bucket for my annual maintenance budget. I get about two years out of a recoat. The cost of the paint is a tiny part of the cost of a hull job. My friends who use copper-based paints get about two years as well. After two years, the result is about the same. It looks like you can stretch copper paint a little longer, but that's hardly the issue.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Consider ... how many municipalities actually draw their drinking water from saline bays, estuaries, etc.?????

I'll refer to my earlier posting of naturally occurring 'background' copper in seawater, etc.

Giving 'fisherman', poor commercial guys, etc. a 'break' ... unconstitutional under 'equal protection clauses' of 'the laws of the nation'.... a stark investment to special interest groups solely for 'political advantage purposes'.

Just wait ... wooden boats will also be 'exempt' because only copper prevents 'teredo and other worms'. I can already make the rationalization for loophole purposes ... hang a wooden 2X4 under the boat and be legally excluded to the same degree that ALL OTHER THAN 'recreational boater' will enjoy and be 'so privileged'.

This is an obvious sham only to collect 'low hanging fruit' from 'rich boaters'; as, if this were 'serious and HONEST' then all these regulations etc. would apply 'universally' and without waiver or exception or 'constructive' loopholes.

Lastly, I would also imagine that the 'divers', etc. are aggressively supporting this ... because they will obviously be cleaning MORE bottoms ... a vested self-interest.

Its a SHAM.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Makes no sense. By your logic, the air pollution in Los Angeles is a problem that needs to be addressed in Boston. WTF?
Simple, here it is in very plain English, candid, forthright.

IF CA or WA have a problem with copper boat paint....which it seems we all agree on...

then it should affect every boat that has copper boat paint, period - In the jurisdiction of that law making body, no exemptions, no special interest groups, no waivers, no nothing. PROBLEM SOLVED. Move on.

IF it is as pervasive as you all claim it is, and it is the problem you all say it is. Then it should be banned across the board, regionally (since you all don't think the east coast has a problem) or nationally.

Feb 26, 2011
Lastly, I would also imagine that the 'divers', etc. are aggressively supporting this ... because they will obviously be cleaning MORE bottoms ... a vested self-interest.
Is it true that non-copper paints need to be cleaned more frequently than copper paints? Yes. Just as copper paints need to be cleaned more frequently than tin-based paints did. But that is not why the CPDA supports the bill. We support the bill because one of the things we try to do is minimize in-water hull cleaning's impact on the environment. But it's more than that. It is a matter of survival for us. Those entities that are under pressure in my state to reduce the copper in the water frequently look at hull cleaners as an easy target, using the unsupportable and untrue argument that hull cleaners contribute a large percentage of the copper. We understand two things, if copper in anti fouling paint goes away, the copper in the water goes away. And if the copper in the water goes away, so do the forces trying to blame us for the problem.

Feb 26, 2011
IF it is as pervasive as you all claim it is, and it is the problem you all say it is. Then it should be banned across the board, regionally (since you all don't think the east coast has a problem) or nationally.
You contradict yourself with almost every statement you make. In one breath you claim we're calling this a pervasive problem and in the next, you say we don't think affects half the country. Again, WTF?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
"I'm sorry, but you just cannot argue in favor of copper-based paints for recreational boats. Do we know that banning them will have a positive environmental impact, particular when commercial boats do not have similar restrictions? Nope, but what gives us the right to risk it? Even if no alternative whatsoever existed, putting toxins in the water is not an acceptable consequence of recreational boating."

So we should ban things based on risk. OK. Let's take a trip through a local home improvement store. What do you see on the shelves? How about jugs of alcohol, acetone, mineral spirits, all kinds of water and oil based paints, lacqeur thinner, insect killers, fertilizers, motor oil....need I continue. Once this stuff leaves the store who knows what happens to it. Industry in the US can not even begin to use most of the stuff you can freely buy on store shelves. So why not ban all these things because of "risk." Let's attack the boaters instead. Less money to fight back.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This post is just getting absurd

This "all or nothing" mentality you have is just immature and ignorant.

Rich, your position has morphed more times than I can count. First it was that there are no copper-free products. Then it was copper is natural so it shouldn't be regulated. Then it was that toxicology is pseudoscience. Now it's unconstitutional because it doesn't apply to all.

kd, you seem to intentionally ignore portions of what everyone has said to just argue certain points of the posts. Yes, a 65 foot boat has more wet area then a 42 foot boat, but what is the ratio of 65 foot to 42 foot boats in your marina???? Maybe 1 to 10 or more. So is there more wet area in one 65 footer or 10 42 footers?

As far as fisherman just passing the costs on, this has to be the most misinformed statement you made yet. How much are you willing to pay per pound for fish before you say "I'll just get chicken"? So to think that fisherman can just "pass the cost on" to the consumer is simple minded. As I said, talk to any fisherman and they will tell you how hard the increased fuel costs are hitting them. Hit them with some other costs and then you will start seeing them go out of business, many already have. So is it better to cut them a break or supporting them when they start claiming unemployment?

If you follow how regulations are implemented, there is typically stages. The clean water act has been in affect for 30 years or so. You can't start on day one saying that you can no longer discharge anything into the ocean. You start with what you perceive to be the largest polluter, then move down the list until all are compliant. There are concessions made the entire time to make it more realistic to implement and enforce. Eventually, years down the line, you move to a full ban.

And those of you who think the EPA has not had a positive effect on the oceans we sail, I call BULLSHIT! I think this is just your political agenda causing you to cover your eyes. I am as small government, libertarian as the come (didn't even vote for McCain because he was too liberal for me). But I can admit when something has worked.

Thirty years ago there was actual human waste floating in Boston Harbor and washing up on the local beaches daily. Twenty years ago you couldn't even see six inches into the water in Boston Harbor. Ten years ago fish started coming back into the area and local beaches when from being closed for entire months due to high bacteria to just a day or two following hard rain events. Now the water in the harbor is swimmable. People pull their inflatables up to the beaches on the harbor islands to picnic and go swimming. This would not have been possible without the EPA and the Clean Water Act.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
So we should ban things based on risk. OK. Let's take a trip through a local home improvement store. What do you see on the shelves? How about jugs of alcohol, acetone, mineral spirits, all kinds of water and oil based paints, lacqeur thinner, insect killers, fertilizers, motor oil....need I continue. Once this stuff leaves the store who knows what happens to it. Industry in the US can not even begin to use most of the stuff you can freely buy on store shelves. So why not ban all these things because of "risk." Let's attack the boaters instead. Less money to fight back.
That is exactly what we do. All products are banned based on risk. Remember asbestos, how about DDT or PCBs or mercury thermometers and hat cleaner or chlorinated solvents as common degreasers or lead paint or leaded gasoline or MBTE or etc. All of the products you mentioned are less toxic (i.e. less risky) versions of those products. And people are working everyday to come up with less toxic versions of those.

You mentioned acetone. Well there is now biosolve. The only reason to continue to use acetone for most uses is that you are too keep and ignorant and think that a couple of bucks in your pocket justifies the risk of cancer and contaminating the environment.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Those entities that are under pressure in my state to reduce the copper in the water frequently look at hull cleaners as an easy target, using the unsupportable and untrue argument that hull cleaners contribute a large percentage of the copper. We understand two things, if copper in anti fouling paint goes away, the copper in the water goes away. And if the copper in the water goes away, so do the forces trying to blame us for the problem.
I state again, Copper is a naturally occurring element, in 'rocks', in water, in seawater, etc.; therefore, copper will NEVER go-away .... it just 'combines' with other elements and still remains 'copper' in combined and mostly 'inert' species. You will NEVER change the 'background' amount of copper in the environment by 'regulation', especially where the 'background' value exceeds the 'regulated amount'.

I would suggest that draconian regulations enacted and promulgated through 'correlation', feel-good-ism, and other unsupported and substantiated data ('claims'), etc. will only result in the DIMINISHMENT of recreational boating by making 'boating' so prohibitively expensive for the 'average recreational joe' that the boating industry and those who partake will simply 'dwindle'. I presume thats where you make your $$$$.
If the EPA and feel-good & technically ignorant legislators want to yet destroy yet another industry or another 'human activity' based on feel-good and unsubstantiated or 'vastly-skewed' claims that in this case specifically target 'boaters' .... and then exclude and provide 'waivers' for the REAL culprits ... theyre on the right track. You and others vote for these anal 'controllers' ... if one doesnt like and doesnt approve of their chicanery then simply vote them out of office. THEY are the problem, not the copper.

Its long overdue time for to restart the 'sanity-clock'.

Gary_H

Nov 5, 2007
Cal 2-25 Carolina Beach NC
I think that the handwriting probably is on the wall as far as the copper bottom paints go. It's a good product as far as protecting the bottom. I'm into my third year of Trinidad and When I cleaned my bottom the other day I could do most of it with a Scotchbrite pad. Took over an hour for my unpainted shaft, strut and prop though. It's going to be more bothersome to use a lesser paint and have to clean more often but It sounds to me like it may be coming whether we like it or not. I guess more boaters will have to take up diving so they can clean their hulls every month.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
I guess more boaters will have to take up diving so they can clean their hulls every month.
Consider to save all the 'growth' that you clean from your bottom and send it or deliver it to your local EPA office or congressional representative.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I state again, Copper is a naturally occurring element, in 'rocks', in water, in seawater, etc.; therefore, copper will NEVER go-away .... it just 'combines' with other elements and still remains 'copper' in combined and mostly 'inert' species. You will NEVER change the 'background' amount of copper in the environment by 'regulation', especially where the 'background' value exceeds the 'regulated amount'.
This statement is absolutely FALSE!!!

"Background" is the concentration of copper that would exist without contamination from man. There is absolutely a concentration of copper that exists in nature. But our activities (i.e. anti-fouling paint, mining, the use of copper pipes for domestic water supply, copper brake pads, etc.) contribute copper to the environment that elevates these concentrations. That elevated concentration can be reduced by better practices by man. This includes using other materials then copper for brakes, anti-fouling coatings, water supply lines, etc.

I would suggest that draconian regulations enacted and promulgated through 'correlation', feel-good-ism, and other unsupported and substantiated data ('claims'), etc. will only result in the DIMINISHMENT of recreational boating by making 'boating' so prohibitively expensive for the 'average recreational joe' that the boating industry and those who partake will simply 'dwindle'. I presume thats where you make your $$$$.
If the EPA and feel-good & technically ignorant legislators want to yet destroy yet another industry or another 'human activity' based on feel-good and unsubstantiated or 'vastly-skewed' claims that in this case specifically target 'boaters' .... and then exclude and provide 'waivers' for the REAL culprits ... theyre on the right track. You and others vote for these anal 'controllers' ... if one doesnt like and doesnt approve of their chicanery then simply vote them out of office. THEY are the problem, not the copper.

Its long overdue time for to restart the 'sanity-clock'.
So you have two arguments here. First, that the scientifically supported position that copper is toxic in marine environments is false. The only thing you have ever provided to support this absurd position is one paper from a copper mining company that side stepped this issue by saying copper is naturally occurring. Weak. Here are twelve pages of scientific papers that support that copper is toxic in marine environments. Choosing to pick on words like "correlation" just shows your ignorance of the scientific method and science in general. If you wish to wait for something to become a scientific fact before you act, you will be waiting for a long time. But while you wait, how is that whole gravity thing working our for you? You know that is just a theory. So why don't you go to a cliff and prove that the "correlations" there are wrong too?

Second, that it's ok to continue to pollute the environment because the cost to not pollute the environment will mean some people can't afford to be recreational boaters. I guess this boils down to who has the rights over the ocean: you as an individual or everyone collectively. I would argue everyone collectively. The ocean is a limited resource that belongs to all of us. We are all free to use it but only in a way that will not diminish that use for the rest of us. This is the logic behind chemical discharge limits, fishing quotas, beach rights, etc.

Some would call this a liberal/socialist/communist positions. I don't think it is, I call it libertarian. In the same way that the biggest thing I want from the government is the right to be left alone and not be bothered. That right only exists if I am not hurting others. Once I cross the line and begin to hurt others then it now becomes the governments job to step in and stop me.

With bottom paint, 30-40 years ago we didn't know it's full effects. I would argue that we always new it was toxic. That is why Capt. Slocum put a coat of copper on the Spray in 1890s. We wanted it to kill those things that grown on our hulls. But we didn't know the full effect. Now that we do know how it can impact the environment, what is the justification to continue to use it?

Couldn't the same argument be made for say, asbestos. It will cost the schools a lot of money to take that asbestos pipe insulation out of your kids schools. It is just a correlation that people exposed to asbestos develop cancer. But instead of ignoring it, we set up regulations through the EPA. We banned new products with asbestos and phased out old products. We set rules up to manage it in the most cost effective way. Eventually it will all be removed and landfilled. It will take a long time but people will be safer in the mean time. How is this different from the handling of copper?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First... JK_Boston....... you are badass! You must be an attorney or college professor?

Second.....EPA...... good. 22 years ago, my son's little league games were regulated by an air quality alarm that suspended games when air pollution levels were too high in Glendora (so cal)... today...... no alarm exists. I live in Riverside, Ca... where we used to have 30-40 stage one alerts every year. Now, if we have ONE per year it's a headline in the news and that rarely happens. When I lived in the SF Bay area in the 70's (wow, what a time that was for a thirty year old hetero-sexual) there was NO fishing in the Bay.... that has changed dramatically over the past 30 years....

It goes on and on... there is resistance to everything. Remember how the ban on smoking was going to put all the bar and restaurant owners out of business. NOT... our business (Nieuport 17 restaurant in Tustin, CA) actually got BETTER. Less people smoked and they liked coming in the smokeless bars. Smokers still came... they just went outside for a toke and found there was a "smokers camaradarie" among them. Everyone was happy, including the bartender (me) who was a reformed smoker that didn't have to inhale the second hand poison anymore. THANKS EPA.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"You couldn't be more wrong. The RBOC is staunchly opposed to SB 623 and attended the hearing May 2nd (as I did) to voice that opposition."

I know they are opposed. What I want to know is strategy, alliances and odds.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
First... JK_Boston....... you are badass! You must be an attorney or college professor?

Second.....EPA...... good. 22 years ago, my son's little league games were regulated by an air quality alarm that suspended games when air pollution levels were too high in Glendora (so cal)... today...... no alarm exists. I live in Riverside, Ca... where we used to have 30-40 stage one alerts every year. Now, if we have ONE per year it's a headline in the news and that rarely happens. When I lived in the SF Bay area in the 70's (wow, what a time that was for a thirty year old hetero-sexual) there was NO fishing in the Bay.... that has changed dramatically over the past 30 years....

It goes on and on... there is resistance to everything. Remember how the ban on smoking was going to put all the bar and restaurant owners out of business. NOT... our business (Nieuport 17 restaurant in Tustin, CA) actually got BETTER. Less people smoked and they liked coming in the smokeless bars. Smokers still came... they just went outside for a toke and found there was a "smokers camaradarie" among them. Everyone was happy, including the bartender (me) who was a reformed smoker that didn't have to inhale the second hand poison anymore. THANKS EPA.
So are you saying that less air pollution causes homosexuality?:doh:

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
instead of making irrational posts, it might make more sense.

There are a couple of logical reasons for the law to exempt large boats and commercial boats.

1) surface area - Recreational boats make up the vast majority of the painted surface area in any given marina. I don't have any statistics to back this up but I don't think it is necessary. My marina has at least 300 boats. Of that, none are over 65 feet and less then 15 area commercial boats. One research vessel and 8-12 lobster boats. This is typical for the vast majority of marinas I have visited. Maybe a commercial port like LA might be a little different but most of us don't keep our recreational boats in those type of areas.

If size is now a determining factor why did they not exempt over 65 foot boats and commercial operators from the discharge laws after all they are bigger. Or using that same thought process why did the not exempt the recreational boater as their holding tanks are smaller and the others are larger. Got to believe that one super tanker (with a draft of over thirty feet loaded, beams over 100 feet and length in the hundreds of feet) has as much square footage as the 300 smaller boats in you marina. I don't ave any statics to back this up but, like you, I don't think it is necessary either.

2) cost per return - It is relatively cheap for a sub-sixty five foot boat to get pulled every couple of years and repaint. The cost for doing this to a boat over 65 feet is much more expensive. Similar to above, how many over 65 foot boats are there in your marina? I would guess not that many. Even an area like Newport RI has relatively few 65 foot or larger boats. While I would guess 1/3 of the boats in my marina (~100 boats) could be pulled by personal trailers by the owner without the yard.

Again size now determines if a law applies to you or not ? the 65 foot plus boats will need the bottoms painted anyway why not make them use a non copper based paint when they do ? After all there is a several year time frame for the recreational boats to be in compliance I would certainly allow them the same courtesy the new law would allow to small boat. Relatively cheap would depend on you personal finances I imagine. $100 to you is a no big deal to your disposable income but if you can afford a to have a 65 footer I got to think is is relative to you hundred dollars so how much more could it really cost.

3) cutting the struggling commercial guys a break - Here in Mass, the majority of the commercial guys are small, independent fisherman (lobster, cod, clams, etc.). These guys are taking a huge hit with the price of fuel. The cost of fish has gone up at the store but not by enough to cover the extra cost. Most of the commercial guys I know keep up on boat maintenance like bottom cleaning and painting because it means fuel efficiency. The legislators could have looked to cut this small percentage of the copper painted surface area a break. Plus, for the recreational boater, the maintenance cost of the boats is discretionary spending not overhead. It is easier to justify costing someone some discretionary money then to take money away from working families.

Sorry unless the commercial boat is less hazardous then a recreational boat I don't buy this either. The premise here is that copper based paint is a environmental hazard. If you believe that ALL boats should stop using it TODAY ! ! ! The commercial operator will have to pass his cost on as any business person must. The consumer will need to pay a little more and just how much more do you think the added cost will be per pound ?? 1 cent the most per pound (if that) based on total catch vs additional cost of paint. Supply and demand controls the market pricing not the cost of the bottom paint.

4) legality - Some have said that this ban should apply to the Navy and Coast Guard boats as well. The problem with this is that it is illegal for a state to put limits on the federal government. There is even legal issues if the EPA were to ban the copper bottom paint. The EPA can't put limits on the Defense Department.

I think the government should voluntarily lead by example and be the first one to use copper free bottom paint.

Just my logical reason that it should apply to every boat not just recreational boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.