Washington Post article

Jan 13, 2001
40
There is a long article on the front page of the Sport Section of the Washington Post this morning about Matt Rutherford's journey around the Americas, byline Dave Sheinin. I'm not entirely pleased with his assessment of the Vega, but the article is pretty good. I will enjoy reading your reactions.
 
Oct 19, 2019
921
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks for posting the link - I had to register (free) to read the article.

As Dennis implied it was a bit unkind to our Vegas but properly
respectful of Matt R.

I can put up with the former for the sake of the latter.

Though Vega sale prices in the DC area may be affected? :)

John V1447 Breakaway
 
May 30, 2006
1,075
Don't worry about the reputation of the Vega
Rutherford chose the Vega, and the Vega
delivered him (assuming a successful finish).
It is one more feather in the cap and one
more fable in the Vega story.
gh
 
Feb 13, 2010
528
I must have read a different article I thought it was pretty
favorable to the Vega. With all the gear ripped off of her, surviving a
rogue wave. Bad foggy conditions and much her her gear in foul condition
she is still moving onward. He is sending e-mails. and using a
satalite telephone. The boat seems to have survived verry well
concitering her small size and the lightness of her production
construction. All I can say is "THREE CHEERS"
!
Doug
 

mphalv

.
Sep 29, 2001
195
I agree. I did not view the article in a negative light. It is a testimony to the toughness of this boat.

Melanie Halvachs
V1826 Double Fantasy
 
Oct 30, 2019
574
Does someone who signed up for the free membership feel like reposting the article here or in the files section?
 
Jan 13, 2001
40
To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?



Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article





To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Jul 5, 2006
49
If I know far enough in advance (couple days) I would like to be there as well. I'm in DC Metro area (NoVA).

Bill McCourt
 
Jun 8, 2005
30
Pending my being available at Matt’s eta in Annapolis, I fly over from Holland to represent VODA (at private cost).

We should organize max publicity exposure for both Matt, the Vega and Crab.

I could arrange that from here with your assistance but anyone else who has idea’s is welcome.

Wl hear from you.

Rob Kloosterman

Voda secretary



Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] Namens Trevor Leech (CRO)
Verzonden: woensdag 8 februari 2012 16:47
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome





Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?



Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article





To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Hi Rob and gang !! With Victor’s assistance, I’ll try to keep the group informed of Matt’s ETA. I like the idea of a Vegatarian welcome committee. Rob, that is very impressive that you would fly over from Europe at your own expense to represent VODA!!. VODA clearly chose the right Secretary!!! I look forward to meeting you at the event. I too have work commitments that may interfere, but I hope Matt’s arrival fits my schedule. The odd thing is that he has no fuel – so he may be becalmed and within sight of shore but end up waiting several days for a breeze.



Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Kloosterman
Sent: February-09-12 4:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome





Pending my being available at Matt’s eta in Annapolis, I fly over from Holland to represent VODA (at private cost).

We should organize max publicity exposure for both Matt, the Vega and Crab.

I could arrange that from here with your assistance but anyone else who has idea’s is welcome.

Wl hear from you.

Rob Kloosterman

Voda secretary

Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] Namens Trevor Leech (CRO)
Verzonden: woensdag 8 februari 2012 16:47
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article

To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 31, 2019
5
I will be getting fuel to him when he crosses his finish line


________________________________
From: Trevor Leech (CRO) <leecht@...>
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:08 AM
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome



Hi Rob and gang !! With Victor’s assistance, I’ll try to keep the group informed of Matt’s ETA. I like the idea of a Vegatarian welcome committee. Rob, that is very impressive that you would fly over from Europe at your own expense to represent VODA!!. VODA clearly chose the right Secretary!!! I look forward to meeting you at the event. I too have work commitments that may interfere, but I hope Matt’s arrival fits my schedule. The odd thing is that he has no fuel – so he may be becalmed and within sight of shore but end up waiting several days for a breeze.



Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Rob Kloosterman
Sent: February-09-12 4:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome





Pending my being available at Matt’s eta in Annapolis, I fly over from Holland to represent VODA (at private cost).

We should organize max publicity exposure for both Matt, the Vega and Crab.

I could arrange that from here with your assistance but anyone else who has idea’s is welcome.

Wl hear from you.

Rob Kloosterman

Voda secretary

Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] Namens Trevor Leech (CRO)
Verzonden: woensdag 8 februari 2012 16:47
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article

To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 31, 2019
230
Well – thank heavens. That ought to firm up his arrival time.



Trevor

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Edwards
Sent: February-09-12 4:44 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome





I will be getting fuel to him when he crosses his finish line

________________________________
From: Trevor Leech (CRO) <leecht@... <mailto:leecht%40lao.on.ca> >
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:08 AM
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome



Hi Rob and gang !! With Victor’s assistance, I’ll try to keep the group informed of Matt’s ETA. I like the idea of a Vegatarian welcome committee. Rob, that is very impressive that you would fly over from Europe at your own expense to represent VODA!!. VODA clearly chose the right Secretary!!! I look forward to meeting you at the event. I too have work commitments that may interfere, but I hope Matt’s arrival fits my schedule. The odd thing is that he has no fuel – so he may be becalmed and within sight of shore but end up waiting several days for a breeze.

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Rob Kloosterman
Sent: February-09-12 4:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Pending my being available at Matt’s eta in Annapolis, I fly over from Holland to represent VODA (at private cost).

We should organize max publicity exposure for both Matt, the Vega and Crab.

I could arrange that from here with your assistance but anyone else who has idea’s is welcome.

Wl hear from you.

Rob Kloosterman

Voda secretary

Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] Namens Trevor Leech (CRO)
Verzonden: woensdag 8 februari 2012 16:47
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article

To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 31, 2019
5
We are working on a landfall in Annapolis, of course, at the Sailing Hall of Fame.
I will keep you updated as long as I can, I talk with Matt fairly regularly, but naturally his ETA is a bit sketchy so far out.
The media are going to be involved so it will have to be staged to a degree to accomodate them, so there will be a fairly accurate time of his actual arrival which should make planning easier for everyone....
Regards,



________________________________
From: Trevor Leech (CRO) <leecht@...>
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:51 PM
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome



Well – thank heavens. That ought to firm up his arrival time.



Trevor

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Edwards
Sent: February-09-12 4:44 PM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome





I will be getting fuel to him when he crosses his finish line

________________________________
From: Trevor Leech (CRO) <leecht@... <mailto:leecht%40lao.on.ca> >
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2012 10:08 AM
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome



Hi Rob and gang !! With Victor’s assistance, I’ll try to keep the group informed of Matt’s ETA. I like the idea of a Vegatarian welcome committee. Rob, that is very impressive that you would fly over from Europe at your own expense to represent VODA!!. VODA clearly chose the right Secretary!!! I look forward to meeting you at the event. I too have work commitments that may interfere, but I hope Matt’s arrival fits my schedule. The odd thing is that he has no fuel – so he may be becalmed and within sight of shore but end up waiting several days for a breeze.

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Rob Kloosterman
Sent: February-09-12 4:19 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Pending my being available at Matt’s eta in Annapolis, I fly over from Holland to represent VODA (at private cost).

We should organize max publicity exposure for both Matt, the Vega and Crab.

I could arrange that from here with your assistance but anyone else who has idea’s is welcome.

Wl hear from you.

Rob Kloosterman

Voda secretary

Van: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] Namens Trevor Leech (CRO)
Verzonden: woensdag 8 februari 2012 16:47
Aan: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Onderwerp: [AlbinVega] RE: Matt Rutherford Welcome

Hello gang, I recently met the chap who has been voluntarily plotting Matt’s course for him (remotely from Toronto) since he left the Northwest Passage and turned south. Apparently, Matt had only a handful of waypoints for the southern ocean and was sailing by the seat of his pants. This chap, Victor Wejer, has been providing waypoints and weather info to Matt ever since. It has been a lot of work. I am hoping to join Victor in Annapolis to welcome Matt ashore when he arrives. Are any other Vegan’s interested?

Trevor (Ext. 4695)

From: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> ] On Behalf Of Dennis
Sent: February-08-12 10:33 AM
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:AlbinVega%40yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Washington Post article

To all: Note that I said I was not ENTIRELY pleased. The article said: "[the Vega is] best suited to weekend sailors who never venture beyond Tilghman Island on the Eastern Shore, etc." I have been all the way to Cambridge.
 
Oct 2, 2005
465
I'm not much bothered by the comments in the WP article. They are after all largely true. The boat was not designed to sail the Northwest Passage, or go to Antarctica or round the Horn, although Vegas have done that and more. It is also true that the boat has suffered and most of his gear is broken or unusable. I had understood that Matt Rutherford had been planning the trip and that an older Vega was what he found available, not that he actually chose the boat because it was the most appropriate for the trip. It should be apparent that this man would have been equally successful in any number of older, plastic production boats. This is the story of one person's determination and courage, and it's not about the boat. Nevertheless I appreciate the Vega's connection to his story and, if pride is a sin, then I must confess a little bit of that.

It has been fascinating. Knowing the boat, I have wondered how it must be, nearly a year in such a small space, coaxing her along in conditions I can only imagine. Matt is getting close and I'm confident he will tie up at home. Another 5000 miles. That is the equivalent of a North Pacific crossing yet he seems to pass it off as a little thing, and he is now down to bailing with an emptied can of corn. His comment? "It works." Courage and resilience. "It's the sailor and not the boat" is not just an empty phrase.

St. Brendan is the third Vega that I am aware of that has rounded the Horn. The other two being Berserk and Rebellion. I had read somewhere that another Vega had arrived in Hawaii some years back, sailed by a single woman and had come around the Horn, but I can't recall any other details.

Thirty or thirty five years ago I had read the story of Ernest Shackleton's voyage in the Endurance (Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, by Alfred Lansing) . Matt's references reminded be of it and I recently read the book again. It is an epic. A remarkable example of survival, determination and stoicism. I wonder how many of us could survive those conditions, as "domesticated" as we have become. Matt Rutherford could it seems, but I think not many others.

Craig Tern #1519
 
Nov 8, 2001
1,818
Hi Craig

Well said.... My thoughts exactly and there is no bigger fan of the Vega than me!

Matt is the hero, not the Vega (But well done St Brendan as well).

I will be at the VAGB AGM in two weeks and will propose a donation from Club Funds to Matt's admirable charity.

Steve B "Southern Comfort" V1703
 
Dec 16, 2011
77
I think more importantly in all his logs and correspondence Matt has never complained about his choice of boat. "It is a poor professional who would complain about his tools." My question would be is anyone else on this form planning to do anything substantial with their Vega? I have just bought mine and I am very excited about that fact. Are there any other East coast Canadians here and has there been any thought given to an East coast rally? Cheers John C
 
Oct 30, 2019
1,459
Matt's choice of boat was fortunate. Tony Skidmore's comments after his circumnavigation aboard Vega 'Lorna Doone' come to mind:

"Some boats do not take kindly to ocean voyaging and are dragged kicking and screaming around the world; every passage a nightmare of gear failures and defective systems. In port the sulk and drag their anchors. Not so the Vega! "Lorna Doone" entered fully into the spirit of the voyage and seemed to enjoy it every bit as much as I did. The additional weight didn't seem to phase her unduly and although certainly never aggressively sailed she manage to run 160 nautical miles noon/noon on two consecutive days in the Indian Ocean south of Cocos and more recently made 112 miles in 24 hours close hauled to the northeast Trades coming up from Hawaii to British Columbia.

In my opinion, the Vega is a very undemanding and forgiving boat for single-handed voyaging and has an impressive ability to keep moving under adverse conditions. About 1500 miles north of Hawaii on the trip home in 1996, stress of weather forced us to lay a-hull in late August. Prior to that, we had not been stopped since a blow off the Cape of Good Hope in January of the same year; 15,000 miles sailing away.

In 30 months, we experienced no gear failures and there are no major changes that I would make to the boat if I were to do a similar trip again."

Tony's lack of gear failures can partially be attributed to his 15 month refit of the boat, an option not available to Matt, who took what was available and made it work. It boggles my mind to think of the punishment he and 'St Brendan' have weathered together!

Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'