Washdown pump wire size

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Help..I am installing a wash down pump on a H356 and there are a couple of things that I am unsure about. The pump is a Johnson Aqua-Jet 5.2Gpm and I'll be locating the pump under the port settee about 8ft away from the 12v panel board. Now the instructions recommend a wire size of #6 wire (the round trip is about 16ft). That's quite a beefy wire, too large I think to take it to the 12V panel to connect to a small blue seas 20amp breaker. That would mean installing a surface mount breaker like the one used for the windlass and I think the smallest size in those is 25amp. Plus I'd have to install a relay to give me power on/off control. Am I getting something wrong here this was suppose to be a simple project with no more than a #12 wire.
Also I plan to install a Jabsco quick release deck outlet in the chain locker on the port side of the windlass. I read somewhere that there may be a metal backing plate for the windlass glassed into that area does anyone know if that may be an issue.

Attachments

May 12, 2013
Hunter 40.5 Mexico
The Max wire length is based on metric system.

It also covers 3% voltage drop.

For #12 round trip is 6m or approx. 20 feet

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Thanks for that Johnny44. I just assume that because the pump was made in America all measurements were in feet thanks.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Hose

I drilled a hole just below the windlass deck on the port side no back plate.
Nick

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Thanks Nick looks like I shouldn't have any issues except for fishing the hose through to the anchor locker.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Pump

I put the pump where all the thru hulls are at the bottom of steps and wire to
under nav station with off on switch,ran the plastic hose starboard side up into next to the windlass and I even ran plastic hose outlet at the stern.
Nick

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Ok the job is done the pump is in and 3/4" hose run starboard side from under galley floor to anchor locker beside windlass where I installed a Jabsco quick release deck fitting.
On start up the pump powers up and pressurizes the outlet hose and deck fitting however when I connect the hose by way of the plastic male fitting that came with it I get instant pressure and then it dies to a trickle. I wondered if it was the deck fitting or the plastic snap in connector so I remover the check valve from the plastic snap in, plugged it into the deck fitting and turned on the pump......nothing just a trickle so the issue is from the deck to the pump. The behaviour is similar to a kinked in the hose but I have checked the run and I can't find one.
What gives any ideas

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
One of 2 things:

Ok the job is done the pump is in and 3/4" hose run starboard side from under galley floor to anchor locker beside windlass where I installed a Jabsco quick release deck fitting.
On start up the pump powers up and pressurizes the outlet hose and deck fitting however when I connect the hose by way of the plastic male fitting that came with it I get instant pressure and then it dies to a trickle. I wondered if it was the deck fitting or the plastic snap in connector so I remover the check valve from the plastic snap in, plugged it into the deck fitting and turned on the pump......nothing just a trickle so the issue is from the deck to the pump. The behaviour is similar to a kinked in the hose but I have checked the run and I can't find one.
What gives any ideas
You've either got a kink in the hose, or a restriction on the intake.
Turn off pump power.
Remove hose from outlet
Turn on power. Is water gushing out of pump?
If not, intake issue.
Then, remove hose from deck outlet.
Turn on power, and see if lots of water at fitting.
If so, restriction at fitting.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
What gives any ideas
John, Did you install the pump under the settee and run a hose back to the through hull for the head ? if so the hose on the intake side may be collapsing under the suction from the pump if the hose does not have any wire in it. I think having the pump as close to the through hull as possible is a good idea.

Let us know how you make out and post a few pics of the mod. As you know I'm waiting to see how you make out before doing mine :)

regards, Bob

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Well I found the problem and thanks for the help guys. It was a kink but not a true kink but more of a squeeze as the hose passes between the hull and the water tank, almost unnoticeable as I hauled the hose back out. It had taken me 3 1/2 hours to just to get the hose in on the previous night finishing the final installation just before midnight and was PISSED when it wouldn't work.

For anyone interested.
I began the installation by inserting a fish wire from the opening just forward of the V-birth water tank and working it back to under the galley floor where just in front of the stove Hunter conveniently located a floor hatch with a plastic dust bin the size of which as it turns out was perfect for the pump and even a recess ideal for a coiled water hose if you chose to keep it there. We never used the bin much, I use it to keep my off-boat shoes there. This also puts the location of the pump,close to the head intake.
I attached the hose (PVC plastics reinforced) to the end of the fish wire with duct tape in a taper, the hardest part of the installation was the first 5 feet from the galley floor following the sink drain hose then turning to starboard to follow the blue and red fresh water hoses through the grid, it is was very tight here and it was here I thought the kink might be. Once I got a hold of the hose on the settee side of the grid it was inch by inch until I had the idea to soap the hose then it was foot by foot.
The rest was easier the deck fitting went well but I would suggest drilling a small pilot hole to check the underside location as in my case there is a curve to the underside that I got a little close to, It was also good that I taped a plastic bag to the underside to catch the debris.
From the head intake to the pump I ran white sanitation hose this stuff is "dread" once it takes to the barb of a fitting it won't let go and if you haven't got it far enough unto the fitting to take two hose clamps you are in trouble getting it off again. What I had to do was use a heat gun to soften it up and soap and water to get it all the way up the fitting, and don't forget to put the clamps on first each in different orientations. The hose clamps I used was ABA heavy-duty stainless you can't get a good clamp on these things with a screwdriver, use a small wrench or nut driver I had to use a vice grip, and of course I was installing a "Y" fitting off the intake valve so just there I had 8 clamps 14 clamps in all, that's why I haven't yet installed the check valve on the head side of the "Y" fitting or the extra run to a stern deck fitting outlet, 12 more hose clamps and a frustrating run... maybe next season. (One more suggestion, Blow through the hose at each stage of the installation) I'll post some photos soon.

May 16, 2007
It always takes 2 or 4 times longer than I expected to do any big job on the boat.
Thanks for the complete report with the details we need ! looking forward to the pictures, I hope you are sailing soon, Bob

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
Here is a photo of the water pump installed in the salon floor's dust bin a perfect location for me as it's easy access for me to check the filter and keeps the pump out of the bilge possibly subjected to sloshing bilge water and winterizing should be a breeze.
image.jpg

May 16, 2007
Thanks for the pictures. Where is the fitting in the anchor locker ? is there any coring in this location ? Do you feel the hose has enough pressure to knock the gunk off the anchor ?
thanks, Bob

Mar 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Georgian Bay
The wash-down fitting is just to the port side of the windlass on the opposite side to the fresh water fill, the glass in this area is about 1/2 inch thick I didn't see any coring material but if you bore too far forward you may hit the curve and have an issue boring all the way through with a shallow cutting bit, as I did to some extent as you see from the close up photo above.

We just got back from a couple days out on Georgian Bay the pump worked great on the mud when taking up the anchor using the curly hose that came with the pump. On the way there was no wind so we were motoring and I decided to wash the decks while under way, I connected my regular 50 ft hose to the wash-down fitting and it was just like being connected to city water.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
The wash-down fitting is just to the port side of the windlass on the opposite side to the fresh water fill, the glass in this area is about 1/2 inch thick I didn't see any coring material but if you bore too far forward you may hit the curve and have an issue boring all the way through with a shallow cutting bit, as I did to some extent as you see from the close up photo above.

We just got back from a couple days out on Georgian Bay the pump worked great on the mud when taking up the anchor using the curly hose that came with the pump. On the way there was no wind so we were motoring and I decided to wash the decks while under way, I connected my regular 50 ft hose to the wash-down fitting and it was just like being connected to city water.

Where are you located. We're in BayMoorings, Penetang.

I installed a washdown pump years ago and love it. Use it every weekend etc. I put the pump in the dry bilge closest to the panel and ran a hose to a fitting in the anchor locker and used the macerator thru-hull ( it's not going to ever be used ).

Water Outlet