Washdown hose shutoff valve

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I have a Beneteau 373 with a chain locker at the bow, in which there is a spigot/faucet/valve, allowing a connection to a washdown hose. I bought the boat a year and a half ago, and previously had always used a bucket on a rope to get water up to the deck the old fashioned way, so I've been loving the convenience of a saltwater washdown hose for anchors, chains, as they're retrieved from the muddy depths where I often anchor. All good... EXCEPT that I HATE anything resembling a gate valve on a boat... for various good reasons. If I had my way, I'd have quarter-turn ball valves everywhere... And I almost do... except this one. It's not really a thru-hull, since it goes from the anchor locker through a bulkhead into the cabin. Anyway, I went to open it last weekend, and the handle screwed right off the valve leaving the inner-workings of the valve stuck shut... one of many reasons I hate gate valves. It looks pretty much like this one if you can't picture what I'm talking about:
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234222|2234225&id=1811158
Anyhow... on the INSIDE of the boat, behind the bulkhead where it is mounted, mine has what is essentially a bathroom faucet nut, like you'd have holding your bathroom fixtures to the basin or coutertop... a giant nut over the threaded supply pipe. Then supplying that with water is a reinforced hose clamped to a barbed hose fitting. Does anyone have (or know of someone that makes) a quarter-turn (not gate valve!) "spigot" with threaded garden hose fitting on the outside, and a threaded pipe on the back with a sink nut (or basin nut, or whatever you call that) on the back? Basically I'm looking for anything that will allow me to hook up a garden hose, but also shut off from up on deck without going down below to shut off. Supplied by 1/2" or similar hose on the inside... not a soldiered/sweated copper pipe (or pex) fitting like you might have for a house spigot. I can't find such a thing, and I'm not sure I'm using the right vocabulary to get Google to grant me that wish so far. I have a preference for stainless, but could probably live with something else (chromed bronze, etc.). What do others have for washdown hose shutoffs on deck? P.S. I'm looking for a way to shut the plumbing, NOT a way to shut the pump off electrically from up on deck. Thanks.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have just a port to screw the hose into..... no valve. Hose has a spray nozzle and that does the trick. Open thru hull fitting for water supply, flip the switch for the pump and I’m set. Not really sure why a valve in the locker is necessary..... just one more boat thing to break.

Greg

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
You guys are KIND OF on the right track... but when I remove the old, broken hose bib/valve, I'll have a bulkhead with a hole in it... with a reinforced hose leading up to it inside the cabin... most of those quarter-turn valves aren't ones you can stick on a fiberglass bulkhead and attach a hose to the back of. I was hoping for a compression fitting (like the sink in everyone's bathroom, in your kitchen at home, or my existing washdown spigot) so the pipe on the back would need external threads (to put the nut on that holds it on the wall) and also internal threads (to thread a hose barb into for the interior water supply line) and also hoping for stainless. Some of those suggestions are close... but I think I'm just going to cave in and install another of the original equipment like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FPD0GY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Even though I hate gate valves. Mostly I hate gate valves because they are unsafe for shutoffs, but in this specific case, the shutoff is way above the water line, and supplied by a pump that also gets shut off, and a seacock that can be shut, and a hose with a gun/sprayer that also shuts off... so it isn't a safety shut-off like most are, and I can live with not knowing whether it is truly closed or not at a glance. I'm sure with a little work I could cobble together a few parts and make something that meets my requirements, but too many projects... I'm just going to hit the "easy" button on this one and give up. Thanks for the suggestions though.