Wash Down Pump Install

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 310 Oriental, NC
Thinking about installing anchor chain wash down system.
Hoping somebody has done this on a 310 and provide helpful tips.
Thanks

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
never done it but saw one that had a three way (Y) on the output. One side went to a hose for general clean up and the other was dedicated to hose down the chain as it came aboard. Basically it pointed down the chain before it came over the bow roller. turn it on and raise the anchor and have both hands free to handle the rode. Stop when there is a big clod of mud on the rode to let the water wash it off.
FWIW

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
I used the thru hull for the air conditioning and put in a 3 way valve so off of that you could run a wash down pump to an outlet on the hull.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
There has been quite a bit written on the Catalina 34 and 36 International Association sites about installing these useful pumps. (https://www.catalina36.org/search/node/washdown pump) That's an expected upgrade for me. Many of those posters install it in the through hull compartment in the head, teed off of the head intake or sink drain through hulls. The sink drain through hull is sometimes problematic because you may need to put the stopper in the drain to avoid pulling down air if your pump is strong enough. You'll want to the pump forward to reduce the run of hose through the boat, so where is your A/C located?

I love the idea of a permanently mounted nozzle to wash the rode off without holding something. I think that a little 1/4 inch copper or stainless (less likely to be crushed but harder to work with) piping from the inlet up over the deck and mounted on the bottom of the anchor roller would be a good design. You want to develop some pressure to wash off mud, so a nozzle is needed.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The head in the C-310 is aft, just at the bottom of the companion way. That is a long hose run forward. I would think something near the water tank under the forward bunk would be better. However, I would really like to see a post from a C-310 owner who has done it.

Jun 22, 2004
- - Anacortes
Recently noticed the thread asking about a wash-down pump. I did install one several years ago and it is a great convenience in our cruising area where most of the better anchorages are mud bottom.

Because I had converted the toilet to fresh water I had the sea-cock available that had previously been used for the head intake. The pump is mounted in the far forward section of the cabinet on the port side just aft of the head. The wash-down hose is run alongside the cold water hose that services the head. There was not sufficient room to run the new supply hose to the bilge, so there is a notch cut in the fiberglass immediately aft of the head to accommodate that hose. The notch is not visible when the mattress is aboard. The wash-down hose is mounted on the port side of the chain locker coiled in a section of Schedule 40 PVC pipe. Below are photos of the hose coiled in and the hose pulled out so you can see the outlet for the hose to be attached. I did have a spare circuit because I had replaced the original breaker panel, so the pump has a stand-alone breaker. The sea-cock is open and the breaker on only while pulling anchor.

It seems to me that if you were using seawater in the head, a Y-Valve could be installed to route the water to the pump only when you are pulling anchor.

Attachments

Mar 8, 2011
Finally installing the wash down pump. 3 way off HVAC sea cock and installed pump under V-Birth area.
Question - Need to cut through the fiberglass support beam under floor, not enough room between it and the V-birth wall support;
Is it OK to cut through here (see attached) and what might I encounter?
Thanks

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Finally installing the wash down pump. 3 way off HVAC sea cock and installed pump under V-Birth area.
Question - Need to cut through the fiberglass support beam under floor, not enough room between it and the V-birth wall support;
Is it OK to cut through here (see attached) and what might I encounter?
Thanks
Are you installing the intake hose for the pump? The limber holes for the forward bilge are in that area, maybe do something similar?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Can you pass the hose from the bilge and up under the mast compression post area forward (this is how the fresh water supply goes aft to galley sink)?

Mar 8, 2011
Are you installing the intake hose for the pump? The limber holes for the forward bilge are in that area, maybe do something similar?
Thank You.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking, however I would have to drill a new opening. I'm wanting to
know if this is Ok or a problem and what to expect. Any Ideas?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Thank You.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking, however I would have to drill a new opening. I'm wanting to
know if this is Ok or a problem and what to expect. Any Ideas?
It should be ok to drill through the frame and install some PVC tubing with epoxy. Just be sure the new installation is water tight around the tubing.