Was O'Day 28 Standing Headroom, Now Various Questions About 28 and 30

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hull speed on the 30 (LWL 25.4’) should be 6.8 kts.
Hull speed on the 28 (LWL 22.75) should be 6.4 kts.
That's the theory but on my 31 (same as the 30) once you get close to 6 kts you can see that the transom is squatting so much you are just wasting fuel and energy trying to push it much faster.

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
That's the theory but on my 31 (same as the 30) once you get close to 6 kts you can see that the transom is squatting so much you are just wasting fuel and energy trying to push it much faster.
Under power or sail or both?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
what are you able to do against a strong headwind?
Naturally less. can't say for sure. One time, I do remember fighting head winds and tide, I struggled to reach four knots. But this was a crazy experience where nothing was going right.

Chainplates: No issues so far. Everything is well embedded on deck and no signs of moisture inside. Can't say the same for other areas. Leaks coming from the mast, wood trim on cabin sides, stanchion plates when we have heavy rains. All fixable but still a pain. Just have to stop sailing and do more repairing. :laugh:

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2014
Naturally less. can't say for sure. One time, I do remember fighting head winds and tide, I struggled to reach four knots. But this was a crazy experience where nothing was going right.

Chainplates: No issues so far. Everything is well embedded on deck and no signs of moisture inside. Can't say the same for other areas. Leaks coming from the mast, wood trim on cabin sides, stanchion plates when we have heavy rains. All fixable but still a pain. Just have to stop sailing and do more repairing. :laugh:
I've had crazy sailing days like that too. I've rebedded (and epoxy-isolated) almost everything on my boat and expect to do that again with whatever boat I buy next down the road. Thanks for the information.

Oct 20, 2014
Would any 30 or 28 owners want to weigh in on their experience with the rudders on their boats? Like many boats this size I know that they use spade rudders without skegs. I did see the one thread from the 30 owner who bent his rudder shaft after being grounded (with a towboat trying to pull him out from the bow and then the stern). How sturdy have you found your rudder assemblies to be (maybe after a grounding, snagging a lobster pot line or net, etc.). Thanks.

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
I have an 85 O'day 28 and can measure next time I'm there if you care.

I'm curious if the discrepancy is cabin moulded sole floor vs cabin wooden sole floor

Oct 20, 2014
I have an 85 O'day 28 and can measure next time I'm there if you care.

I'm curious if the discrepancy is cabin moulded sole floor vs cabin wooden sole floor
If you have time, that would be great, thanks. Perhaps this will be one of those threads that people find in the future when they are wondering about headroom on these boats. In my experience, having enough headroom when cruising is a real asset.