Wanted - Maxwell 17 Top Piece

Mar 26, 2014
Hunter 25.5 Charleston
I have recently purchased a Hunter 25.5. All is in great working order at this point, but one of the Maxwell 17 self-tailing winches is missing the top piece. All it is is a simple part that screws down to secure the other parts of the winch in place. Unfortunately it never turned up. I'd like to avoid buying a whole new winch but I can't find this part. Any suggestions, tips, or spare parts from anyone? Thanks!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
try mannys salvage in california or watch ebay in the boat parts section or try dons salvage in clear water fla or maybe sailors exchange in st augustine fla....hope this helps

regards

woody

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
If you need spare parts so that you can maintain your Maxwell winches, I suggest you contact Allen Hutton at the Australian Yacht Winch Co. Here is his e-mail address: winches@attglobal.net

He can supply you drawings of your Maxwell winches (so you can figure out what parts you need). And then he can also supply you the replacement parts you need. The only downside is that it takes a couple of weeks or so to get the parts, because he is in Australia.

My Hunter 25.5 has two 30-year old Maxwell 17STA sheet winches and a Maxwell 14A halyard winch. Allen has been able to supply me the parts that I have needed to keep these original winches operating.

Be advised, however, in addition to ordinary shop tools you may also need an arbor press to properly perform some of the maintenance (like pressing a new plastic cap onto an alloy drum ... or pressing a new plastic bushing onto a drive shaft). But if you have the tools ... Allen can supply you the parts ... and you will be able to keep your winches operating like new.