wannabee sailors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Confession time?? Our first day out, we passed the jetty and banged a left. Later, we discovered that the jetty extends for another 1/4 mile under the water and is well exposed in even the highest of low tides. The area we sailed into is about 4 feet deep at mean low; enough for our shoal keel but we didn't know that. Well, a thousand or so nautical miles successfully behind my transom, and I can laugh, cry hang my head in shame, count my blessings and thank my Lord for looking out for the idiots.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Many of us could have met a similar fate if it were not for good fortune. These guys seemed to be particularily niave, but so was Chay Blyth when he set out in a production boat on the first solo Golden Globe race. He survived and went on to become an accomplished sailor.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
"The first year" could be the title for a wonderful book full of anecdotes about the mishaps and misadventures that we all have suffered. Fortunately most of them are not news worthy. Anyone who swears that he has never escaped trouble by a very narrow margin will probably lie about other things too.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On my first ever sailing trip in salt water I was bringing a MacGregor V21 back to port after a wonderful day sailing out of Kiptopeake (mouth of the Chesapeake Bay). I had dropped my mainsail and was coming in on jib alone ... I had just rolled up the keel when a big fishing boat pushed out (I was only a few yards from tying up) and he turned my bow 90 degrees. The current quickly caught me and so I fired up the 4hp iron genney only to have it stall (I later learned my main sheet was in the water and fouled the prop. My keel decided that was a good time to get stuck in the up position and..... a T-storm was coming in.... and my kids were on board.... So I beached her about 2 miles from where this disaster started. The wife and kids walked back to the car and I walked the boat back to the launch in the surf... HOURS later.

A lot of lessons learned the hard way that day. I always idle my motor coming in. Just in case I need it... And I am a beast about letting lines drag in the water. And my keel equipment is kept in good working order... all of the time.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Them guys that buy boats off E-bay are the worst...

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Based on stupid stunts as far back as my teens, I'm living on borrowed time anyway. A more blunt way of saying "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
We've all been there........... but most of us are lucky enough not to have a press photo of the event.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Them guys that buy boats off E-bay are the worst...
HEY! I bought all my boats off eBay. Excellent pricing, too!

But I also sailed with friends, started in protected waters, took real lessons...

Please don't automatically lump eBay patrons with those individuals who believe that "adding a boat to water" makes them a skilled sailor instantly.

Jan 19, 2010

But I also sailed with friends, started in protected waters, took real lessons...

Please don't automatically lump eBay patrons with those individuals who believe that "adding a boat to water" makes them a skilled sailor instantly.
Hey Jepomer:

Squidd was just being sarcastic (I think)!:)

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
what do they expect

Anyone with zero experience in an unfamiliar area that takes an unfamiliar boat out at night deserves what they get

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
A clear cut case of natural selection being twarted again due to helpful marina staff.

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands

Hey Jepomer:

Squidd has an E-Bay Boat Too...

And Proud of it...

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Just a clarification. According to my dad, experienced comber of the interwebs for merchandise he doesn't need, it's called "The Ebay".
Please carry on.

Jan 19, 2010
Just a clarification. According to my dad, experienced comber of the interwebs for merchandise he doesn't need, it's called "The Ebay".
Please carry on.
Hey IndySailor

I see you are on Lake Monroe

I was a graduate student at Purdue (a long time ago) and my thesis adviser kept a Catalina 22 at Lake Monroe. It seemed like I got a sailing invitation twice each year....

1) In the Spring when it was time to step the mast....:snooty:

and

2) In the Fall when it was time to strike the mast and put the boat up for the winter...:snooty:

:eek:

Never did get a good look at the lake.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Hey Jepomer:

I didn't take it "too" personally. But I thought his comment needed an equally snap reply both for support of eBay purchasers and a caution for "instant sailors".

Status
Not open for further replies.