Walking Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Mutiny!

Mine appear to be worn nice and evenly, heel and ball of foot. Nothing radically off center. I think there's more to it than that.
Roger, you have been cruising since July, and unlike other "soft Americans" you have avoided the comfort of marinas, choosing to anchor and re-anchor without the aid of even a mechanical windlass, you also choose to row your dinghy instead of having even a small 2HP outboard, and for the most part you have no one to share all that effort, plus all the loading and unloading that occurred.

Finally your back mutinied.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Finally your back mutinied.
Mutiny quelled for the time being. As I will tell the PT folks this morning, I'm now below the threshold of the background discomfort and minor pain I have been living with for a decade, even while doing all that cruising stuff.

I'm also even below the threshold where I would even be aware of anything wrong in normal life if I was not obsessed with this and watching, on the PT's instructions, for even the slightest feeling of anything "different". That's what is supposed to guide my exercising and activity for the time being.

I can tell when I do my exercises that one hip is not working exactly in the same way as the other but I have to pay very close attention. I'm fully with the program of getting myself into a condition where I don't have an episode again.

I think this is a lot like the engine. If I hadn't failed to fully seat the dipstick, I never would have known about all the other contributing factors. If I hadn't suddenly started walking several miles farther than usual while tense and stressed, the strain from the anchoring adventure wouldn't have blown up into a major event.

With both systems, now that I know about all these contributing factors, it's worth getting them fixed because a cruise can end when everything lines up just wrong. Ironically, my back is going to cost as much as I feared my engine would.

I feel, and suspect, that I could probably just jump in the boat today and resume cruising while being a bit more careful. I'm not sure though so, and since I'm paying so much it, I'm going to follow the PT's advice to stop thinking, listen, and think of myself as an invalid for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.