Walking Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I’ve spent the weekend researching and attempting to sea trial my body the way that Gary at Drum Point Marine did my engine. The results so far are surprisingly similar in that there appear to be multiple contributing causes, without any one of which, I might just be an aching and cranky old sailor instead of a beached one. Like the engine, the major cause may be easier to fix than I thought.

I came across this very interesting blog entry by a doctor who believes that improper walking is a common cause of many SI pain cases:

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2...tion_and_hip_socket_degradation#axzz1qhqjNXcP

Couldn’t be me, I first thought. I’m a power walker. Little children run and hide their faces in their mother’s skirts when they see me coming. I walk about a mph faster than anyone else and used to think nothing of going 30 miles in an afternoon.

I read further and realized that she was describing exactly the way I walk. I lean forward with impatience and thrust my legs forward using the large muscles on the front of my thighs. These are attached to the top of the hips, one of which is tipped forwards. Is there an engineer in the house?

I went out and tried to walk pretending that the muscles in the front of my thighs were paralyzed and stood tall with my pelvis rolled level under me. Immediately, I fell into an exaggerated but fairly natural feeling “toughest guy in the bar” kind of walk. I could almost instantly see that my hips were moving together as a unit and my shoulders were moving as I walked, for maybe the first time in decades.

I went back to my normal pace and could feel my big hip bones flexing hinge like and individually on the SI joints. My spine was locked tightly by other muscles so there wasn’t any other way for them to respond to the pull of the big muscles in front. I suddenly realized that the first significant onset of this event was immediately after I tied up to a dock with a dead engine in a town with no food stores and the cheapest restaurants (and only breakfast) a mile and a half away. My only recreation was walking around and worrying so I was suddenly doing 3 – 6 miles a day while tense after a long period with relatively little walking and recent stresses on the whole area.

I returned to tough guy mode, glad to be out on a deserted country road, and it felt great. I quickly began to feel the pull and burn of muscles that haven’t been used in a long time, muscles I didn’t even know I had. I felt like I could collapse over forward because my legs weren’t locked straight and I needed to use previously unknown muscles in my calves.

It occurred to me that, because I walk so fast (someone once said I looked like I was headed off to kill someone) I might have fallen into the habit of restricting swagger like hip and shoulder motion that make me look more intimidating. It could also be left over from the old injury or maybe just being dropped on my head as a baby. Whatever.

I’ve walked a lot this weekend and I’m sore. It’s the good kind of sore though and none of it is in the places where the major pain has been. Those have been getting better even faster than from doing the exercises the PT outfit gave me. My gait has gradually been getting more natural as all those muscles I never knew I had strengthen, I get used to the rhythm, and can focus less on keeping my forward thigh muscles more relaxed.

They say you are never too old to learn something new. Me, at age 62 (nearly), I’m learning how to walk.

Nov 22, 2008
I say old man quit pushing the situation.
I fell asleep this morning after the alarm and woke up thinking I might have overslept. I sprang out of bed before I could think and realized I was standing up without even a little stiffness or discomfort.

So far, it is working for me.

I'm off to PT now and will discuss all this with them. I'll let you know what they think.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
You probably land heels first also, which puts additional stress on knees and spine, I too am trying to relearn how to walk.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Come on 62 is not old. I think old is being somewhere north of 70 and I'm sure some 70 year old will tell me I'm wrong that it is around 80. You get the picture. A few years back I destroyed a couple of toes and foot bones by hitting a cleat barefooted. I thought they had healed but it was apparently temporary as I can not put weight on that left foot without having orthopedic inserts on my shoes. These inserts which I had used mainly to combat heel spurs now allow me to walk practically pain free. They also have a secondary effect which is to properly aling the feet, knees and spine and now that I'm using them all the time have noticed a reduction in the frequency of back pain attacks. They are hard inserts and the raise the foot arch.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
... I think old is being somewhere north of 70 and I'm sure some 70 year old will tell me I'm wrong that it is around 80.....
Yep, you're wrong, but being 'old' has gotten a bad rap! If you can still get on your boat, you're not really old regarless your chronological age. :dance:
Personally, I still consider myself to be 39.;)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Great news Roger
Remember, You are only as old as you act.
which puts me at about 15 BTW

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Come on 62 is not old. I think old is being somewhere north of 70 and I'm sure some 70 year old will tell me I'm wrong that it is around 80.

You are wrong Old is 15 years older than the beholder. I'm north of 70 and an old man of 89 whups my butt on the race course.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
> I might just be an aching and cranky old sailor instead of a beached one. Like the >engine, the major cause may be easier to fix than I thought.

Don't go throwing the towel in, you aren't done yet!

Roger last time I tweaked my back it took 6 weeks before I felt normal again (as normal as I am anyway) & I'm not out cruising where the wear & tear from daily boat life beats the snot of you, not to mention hauling anchors by hand.

I was so taken back by my episode that I didn't even hunt last year for fear of being carried out of the woods on a stretcher if I moved the wrong way & ended up walking tall.....

Give your back some real rest for at least 4-6 weeks & odds are you'll be in shape to bring Strider home to Portland.

Bob

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I walk about a mph faster than anyone else and used to think nothing of going 30 miles in an afternoon.

I lean forward with impatience...

It occurred to me that, because I walk so fast...

They say you are never too old to learn something new...
Just move to the South. We do everything slow (not slowly, slow) here. It took me 15 minutes just to type this. Gonna get me some sweet tea now.

Nov 22, 2008
It took a little while this morning to get the PT's to understand that I wasn't saying that I'd found a magic cure and didn't need further sessions. Once we got past that, they agreed that I have spent a lifetime walking in a very stressful way which contributed to this. It's a good thing to have learned because I only walk that way outside when I've got a distance to cover. I might have started walking again for exercise and undone some of the work that lies ahead.

OTOH I got the message that we're just finishing the "emergency room" phase of this event and I'm now on the ward. They would have gotten to the walking part in due course. You may remember how your teachers reacted when you skipped ahead a few chapters in the textbook and asked questions about stuff there.

Still, it was very helpful to me to get me paying attention to things I never did before. Most important, I was able to get enough exercise in through walking to sleep quite well last night. Just 20 feet of demonstrating the way I normally walk distances brought the pain back, only a little bit, but it was the only discomfort I have felt in the last 24 hours.

They seem very confident about getting me back cruising stronger and less injury prone than I was before but it's going to take at least three times a week for a month to do that.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
A suggestion

Get a copy of the book "Born to Run"
It is about the Tarahumara Indians who like to run say 50 miles to warm up for the 400 mile run.
There is a lot of good information regarding running barefoot or with those sandals with the toes. You run completely different without shoes and I'll bet walking is the same. You shoes are probably a big part of the problem, but read the book then decide for yourself.
Good luck,
Dave

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Takes a Long Time

Get a copy of the book "Born to Run"
It is about the Tarahumara Indians who like to run say 50 miles to warm up for the 400 mile run.
There is a lot of good information regarding running barefoot or with those sandals with the toes. You run completely different without shoes and I'll bet walking is the same. You shoes are probably a big part of the problem, but read the book then decide for yourself.
Good luck,
Dave
On a local radio medical talk show, the topic Saturday happened to be discussing foot problems, the book was mentioned. The expert discussion pointed out that those people did that all their lives, if you haven't it takes years working up to it gradually, to achieve it. Of course the younger you are the quicker the process. One of the differences in that approach is not landing heel first using shorter strides. If you are not willing to spend the enormous time required wear conventional running shoes, instead of the minimally padded ones, but still work on the technique.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Earth Shoes

Many years ago they started selling earth shoes. These were supposed to simulate the shape of your footprint in the sand at the beach. It took some getting used to but the idea was probably right on. By cushoining your feet your joints take incredible stress becase you can't feel the shock and pain in your feet. The Tarahumara do not run barefoot, they take old tires and make sandals out of them, you can see the sandals on youtube and also some of them running. The bottom line is not cushioning your feet seems to be the key, I wonder if old boat shoes do the same thing?

Nov 22, 2008
Many years ago they started selling earth shoes.
And stopped. The damn things nearly crippled me. That was back when I was in very, very good shape.

Sort of like in the post above, if you grow up walking on sand, they would be great. Suddenly making the transition can really screw you up.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Just realized that if you misspelled the title of this thread, it'd still work:

TRIALS

or

TRAILS

Apr 29, 2011
Finnsailer 38 Massachusetts
I think a lot of people don't walk or run properly, including myself, causing all sorts of problems. Many, many runners and people who walk fast stretch out too far, hitting their heels down hard with each step while at the same time their leg is nearly locked sending shock waves up through the leg, joints, and body. Partly, this is due to our hyper-competitive society where everyone envisions themselves as breaking the 4-minute mile while they jog, when in reality they should be running like our ancestors did who were just needing to get somewhere fast and therefore did it at a pace they could keep up all day long--knees a bit bent, rolling from heel to toes, arms down and relaxed, moving quietly and with minimal effort, and nothing straining. You have to keep thinking about it as you run: no pounding. The old motto "if it doesn't hurt it isn't doing you any good" is what most people do when running, and that is wrong if you want to keep doing it into old age.

Nov 22, 2008
I think a lot of people don't walk or run properly, including myself, causing all sorts of problems.
And problems relevant to sailing where you do a lot of hauling and similar stuff. That little spot in my SI joint has been bothering me to varying degrees for the whole trip. I thought it was just the downside of being old instead of dead. It looks now as if my walking habits are a significant contributor to my being vulnerable to stresses from anchor handling, etc. The PT's say there is no reason, even with the damage history and arthritis I have in the joint, that I should have this be a chronic thing after they are done with me.

This "joint" is different from other joints in that it doesn't move much. It's not like having arthritis in a knee or hip. Over stressing, such as from improper walking, create excess motion and inflammation in it which causes low back pain. My arthritis just makes it worse when it moves excessively. The goal of all this PT is to get the muscles to hold it in place again and working in a way that doesn't put strain on the joint.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
All you need to do is look at the wear on your shoes to be be able to tell where the weight is applied. Our ankles and knees are the ball joints that keep our tires (feet) in alingment. Undue wear at the heels, instep or toes can show misalingment. An orthopedic doctor has ways of correcting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.