W1AW

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Is anyone making any contacts with all the W1AW / Centennial stations ? I've got 2, 4, 8, and G1 so far.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm still trying to figure out how a club call can be used by arbitrarily chosen licensees, having different calls, in every state except the one where the call sign was issued.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
W1AW invented ham radio and they can do as they please.

Oct 6, 2009
A club call can be requested for special use. You can make a contact using your call or the club call for a given event. If you plan to use the club call you will need to coordinate that with your club. Clubs get contest points from W1AW for an award. Hams using W1AW have been registered with W1AW for its use and there is a set time limit to use it. For the centennial each state has a call issued. 73's

Sep 25, 2008
I tend to think Brian may be on to something.

Sully - I read the same thing but nowhere in the FCC Part 97 regs. I am a League member but this seems to stretch the rules a bit unless I miss something.

Oct 6, 2009
Don, log on to the ARRL web site, maybe that will explain the reasons for contests and special calls issued.

Contests and Radiosport
Contesting is one of the great activities of Amateur Radio. It boosts your technical knowledge and improves your radio operating skills—helping make you a better Amateur. Check out the 19 annual contests sponsored by ARRL.

Feb 17, 2006
Sully, are you an avid/active contester? I used to be many years ago. Wonder what would happen if FB tried to do a Field Day? LOL

Sep 25, 2008
Don, log on to the ARRL web site, maybe that will explain the reasons for contests and special calls .
The reason is apparent. The comment I posed is one of compliance which is not mentioned anywhere I looked.

I worked all states back around 1970 so the novelty has pretty much worn off.

Oct 6, 2009
Sully, are you an avid/active contester?

Not really, kinda hot & cold with it. Guess you would say I like to work it now and then. Peer pressure makes me do it :doh: I'm looking to try and work all the W1AW states as they come up. They have 2 scheduled every week. Some states are just hard to get from my location. I've only been in the hobby since 1989 and still learning.

Feb 17, 2006
We should start a new award; Worked All Maritime Mobile (WAMM) LOL Or better yet, have a contest in which stations on land can only work a Maritime Mobile station. :D

Oct 6, 2009
WAMM, I like that. I'm going to try that when I get back on the water. :dance::dance: 73's