Vulcan 7 vs 7R?

Jul 30, 2018
62
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
I’m having a moment... Trying to identify the difference between the Vulcan 7 and 7R. Several hundred dollar difference. Is the R for radar?

Thanks!
 

Apex

.
Jun 19, 2013
1,225
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
as I understand, yes. I was looking for Vulcan 7 from several marine sites, and decided new, and assured updated version was worth a few extra hundred.
 

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,760
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I looked at several sites and the B&G site. There was no evident difference in feature that II could decern. While there were price differences it looked that these were site based not the product based. I saw both the 7 and the 7R listed around the $769 price.

I am wondering if this FAQ answer may be the issue.

Owing to differing certification, taxation and import/export regulations around the world, Navico MFDs are intended primarily for use in the region in which they were purchased.​
​
If you imported your boat from the Americas or bought and fitted a unit whilst in the region, please contact your local Navico service team to discuss removal of the geofence.​
 
Jul 30, 2018
62
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
B&G technical support noted the 7R just contains a faster processor. All of the other functionality remains the same, just slightly less responsive. Have to imagine it’s a massive upgrade over our Garmin 440S anyways, so a good way to save a few hundred dollars if you don’t need the latest and greatest.