Vulcan 7 depth offset not working

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I have just installed an Airmar transducer (DST800V) and connected it to my Vulcan 7. The depth reading is working but when I try to adjust the depth offset I get no change in the reading no matter what I enter in the offset. I have also gone into the "installation" area of the Echo settings to adjust the offset there instead and still get no change. The DST800V is not listed in the list of transducers on the Vulcan 7. Plenty of other Airmar transducers are listed but not mine. Anyone have any insight into this problem?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is a DST800 listed on the V7? The V designation indicates that there is a valve in the trasducer fitting, this allows the transducer to be removed and limits the amount of water that can enter.

Jan 11, 2014
I'm about to install the same transducer. When I looked at the instructions, they advised testing the unit before installing. Perhaps Airmar has had problems before?

The other possibility is a problem in the network. What other instruments and devices are connected to the Vulcan? Is there power on the network? Is it properly terminated?

Mar 24, 2012
The transducer is the only thing on the network with the V7. The transducer is reading the depth. It just won't allow me to adjust the offset.

Jan 11, 2014
Is the depth reading you are getting reasonably accurate?

Is the transducer connected directly to the Vulcan?

According to the Specs on the DST800 it needs power from the network. (http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=110) I'm not an NMEA 2000 expert by any means, but I don't think the Vulcan will supply power to the network, there will need to be a power connection to the cable that runs between the Vulcan and the transducer. One like this: https://www.defender.com/product.js...r-cord&path=-1|344|2028705|2028883&id=1406780

Mar 24, 2012
Yes, the reading is accurate from where the transducer is mounted on the hull but it is mounted about a foot below the water line. So, the reading I get is off by a foot. The offset is supposed to adjust for that. It does have to be connected to a powered network. The network backbone gets 12v power and the V7 gets its own 12v power.

Jan 11, 2014
Like I said, I'm no expert on this as I'm fumbling through my own new installation. :confused:

A few final ideas.

Is the Vulcan Software up to date?

Have you powered down and rebooted the system?

Can you remove the transducer and test it on another system?

Finally, in the Vulcan manual there is a Diagnostics section, perhaps a solution can be found there.

Please keep us posted about your findings.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I would think The depth offset would be in the Vulcan, not in the Airmar.

Mar 24, 2012
The offset setting is through the V7. It can be found in the main settings menu and then Echo. It can also be found in the “installation “ area of the Echo screen. This is also where the drop down menu is where you select the installed transducer. I have rebooted and don’t have the ability to test on another system. I have thought that perhaps I need a software update which would hopefully list my transducer since it is new. Unfortunately the WIFI signal at my marina is weak and I have not yet had success updating. I’m going to look for the diagnostic section you refer to. I’ll lyk if I come up with anything! Thx

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Are you getting speed and temperature readings from the Airmar? That unit send out both. There is are NEMA 0183 and a NEMA 2000 versions. Are you set for the unit you have?

It's possible that you need a Netwotk booster on the line to the Airmar, as David mentions. Did you check if the Vulcan show CAN voltage?

Mar 24, 2012
So, I downloaded the latest software update and installed the SD card in the unit per the directions. There was no indication as to whether or not an update was performed. I also discovered I am not getting a temp reading. Haven't tested the speed yet. The V7 is telling me there is no device connected to read water temperature. I emailed B and G Friday and have yet to receive a reply. I definitely have power from the backbone as my depth reading goes away as soon as I unplug it from the V7.

Jan 11, 2014
I emailed B and G Friday and have yet to receive a reply. I definitely have power from the backbone as my depth reading goes away as soon as I unplug it from the V7.
B&G tech support via email is, uh.... how do I say this..... a bit random? It is either quick and outstandingly good or as you have noticed a bit slow. For reference a couple of months ago I sent in a question, still waiting for an answer.

If you don't hear from them, make a phone call.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I've had good luck with then over the phone. For the update - does the V7 have any kind of file browser? I know on our Simrad device I need to browse to the SD card and select the update file to install it.

Mar 24, 2012
Would love to call and get a tech on the phone. Apparently, that option does not exist!!

Mar 24, 2012
There is no browser that I can find. No mention of it in the manual.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I know you have power but do you have terminators at both ends of the network??

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Who did you buy the Vukcan 7 from and when?

Who did you buy the Maretron from and when? Is there a compatible Maretron listed? You can see where I’m going with this.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Any chance you have a phone number? Can't seem to come up with one on the web site.
Hmmm, that was about 2 years ago. I think at the time I found it on their website but now it's just a contact form.