Volvo V Vetus Muffler

Dec 11, 2023
Bavaria 34 Genoa
I have a Volvo Penta D1-30F engine in my 12 year old Bavaria 34. I have just taken the original Volvo Waterlock Muffler / silencer to pieces as it was leaking small amount of rust and water. The baffle inside was loose and the aft end cap was badly rusted and deformed. I have replaced the exhaust elbow with a US cast 316 stainless steel elbow and would like to use a plastic replacement muffler possibly the Vetus Wlock L45R. The distance aft of the engine exhaust elbow is 650mm. Does anyone know what the temperature of the water and exhaust gas is likely to be at the point as the Vetus has a top temp of 70 degrees C. I have a number of friends who have melted their plastic muffler when the engine over heated. Does anyone have any experience of fitting a Vetus or any other plastic muffler to a Volvo Penta D1-30F?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank You

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Well, it just seems odd to have all those links to pages in CF, especially since they are not specific posts. Are you inviting someone to read through all those posts and give you the answer? Or is just a way to promote CF on another forum? Either way, it is just bad form.

Dec 11, 2023
Bavaria 34 Genoa
I have no idea what you are talking about I have never posted before so I put this post under Engines and Propulsion as this seemed the most appropriate. I had assumed that the forum was for sail boat owner's to ask question of other owner's to try and solve issues they are having.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Well, it just seems odd to have all those links to pages in CF, especially since they are not specific posts. Are you inviting someone to read through all those posts and give you the answer? Or is just a way to promote CF on another forum? Either way, it is just bad form.
I think that's Cruiser's Forum's "fault". Posts there have links automatically inserted on key words. So if someone posts there then copies and pastes their own post to here the links come with it.

For the original question - I have a temperature sensor on my exhaust elbow just below the water injection on my Yanmar engine. The temperature there generally stays below 115F. The gasses themselves might still be warmer than that, but I think 70C is probably a good margin for safety as long as water flow is good. The Vetus plastic water muffler is a very common design so I don't think it's uncharted territory. Certainly running the engine for any length of time without cooling water could overheat the muffler, but under normal operating conditions I wouldn't worry.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If indeed the links are a result of copying and pasting a post from CF, then my apologies. If you read your post you should see the links, and then click on them, you'll see what I mean.

One caveat about posting the same question on multiple forums, in some cases there will too many conflicting answers leaving the original poster more confused than they were before asking the question.

Vetus also makes a heavy duty water lock muffler that is temp rated to 260°C there might be one that fits your application. Centek also makes water lift mufflers in a myriad of styles and shapes, there may be one suitable for your boat.