Volvo penta 2002 cold start

shyamh

May 8, 2014
Beneteau 375 Seattle
Hello,
The volvo penta 2002 motor (2 cylinder diesel, 18HP, no glow plugs) on my 1984 beneteau first 30E has never started on its own since I bought it about 18 months ago. It came with a can of starter spray and a dash of it in the air intake always does the trick. The previous owner passed away suddenly so I did not get to ask anyone about the history of this.

The motor runs fine after starting and starts back up fine when the engine is warm.

I would like to get this to work properly and am thinking about where to start.

Anyone on the forum had a similar issue (with a penta 2002) and managed to get that fixed? Can you share what you did?

Thanks in advance,
shyam

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
If your motor is anything like mine, try this: before starting, advance the throttle (engine speed control to purists) past about halfway, pull out the engine stop then put it back to the run position. This sets something in the injector pump to give the engine extra fuel for starting, sort of like a choke on a gasoline engine. Crank the engine, and it should start right up; throttle back right away. Hopefully all those years of starting fluid haven't damaged anything.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If your motor is anything like mine, try this: before starting, advance the throttle (engine speed control to purists) past about halfway, pull out the engine stop then put it back to the run position. This sets something in the injector pump to give the engine extra fuel for starting, sort of like a choke on a gasoline engine. Crank the engine, and it should start right up; throttle back right away. Hopefully all those years of starting fluid haven't damaged anything.
That's the procedure I use on my 2002 never had a problem starting.

shyamh

May 8, 2014
Beneteau 375 Seattle
Thanks all. I had tried that a few times but didn't work. She's out of the water for bottom paint so I will try again when it is back in

In pulling and pushing back the engine stop, how long do you hold it in the cutoff position before pushing back? Is it just a quick pull and push/release? And how long do you crank before it starts?

Jun 2, 2007
Just pull/push the stop handle. Make sure you advance the throttle far enough first. If it doesn't start right up, there is a problem. Maybe need a compression check.

Jun 2, 2007
Also, is the starter cranking the motor fast enough? Good strong battery, good connections, including the engine ground back to battery negative?

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Pull and hold the engine stop.
Advance throttle to full while disconnecting the shifter.
Release the engine stop.
Start the engine and back down the throttle.

Work well for me and it gets cold here.