Volvo MD2030 sail drive rubber seal replacement

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
What is your experience changing the engine bed/sail drive seal as well as the hull seal? Did you do it yourself (it seems like a big job)? What did it cost having it done? No leaking issues now, but the boat is 17 years old and it doesn't seem this was ever done.
I have one quote so far, and it seems pretty costly.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
What is your experience changing the engine bed/sail drive seal as well as the hull seal? Did you do it yourself (it seems like a big job)? What did it cost having it done? No leaking issues now, but the boat is 17 years old and it doesn't seem this was ever done.
I have one quote so far, and it seems pretty costly.
I have never undertaken this job yet. But my time is coming with a ZF SD10 sail drive matched to a Yanmar 3YM30. I will definitely be keeping on eye on this thread.
However Nightowle, you have only provided the manufacturer and model of your engine (Volvo MD2030). What is the make and model of your sail drive? Possibly an 130S-X. Where X could be blank or A or B. But it could also be a many other makes and models. Engines don't really care what they are connected to. Info on your particular sail drive may help other members in assisting you. I have found that there are not yet a whole lot discussion about sail drives on this forum. The majority of sail drives current reside on European boats and particularly catamarans and racing sailboats. An alternative would be to Google "sail drive forum" and see what pops up.
Out of curiosity what was the quote?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I'm had my diaphragm replaced in a few years ago. According to Volvo, it's was overdue. They recommend replacing them every 7 years even if it's not leaking. I paid a little over $1500 by a certified Volvo mechanic. Parts were less than $300. The engine on my C&C 110 is a Volvo MD2030-C matched to a Volvo 120SE saildrive. The engine has to be moved forward a couple of inches in order to get the sail drive out. The is enough room on the engine bed that the forward engine mounts stay on the bed and don't need to be supported when the engine is slid forward. The aft end of the engine has to be supported before the saildrive is removed because the saildrive has a mount that supports the aft end of the engine and saildrive. It wasn't a big deal and the work was done by one mechanic working alone. I would have none it myself but my new insurance company wanted it done before the boat was launched. Time didn't allow me to do the work but I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time. The original diaphragm was 14 years old but it looked brand new. They are made of a very heavy duty rubber and appear to be well made. The seal at the hull has nothing to do with keeping water out of the boat. It is there to reduce the size of the hull opening and to fair the hull to the saildrive. That piece is very easy to install. While the sail drive is out of the boat I would suggest that you replace the seals at the prop shaft also.

Last edited:

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
I'm having it done now. D2-55 and 130S drive. Seal kit was $380 around here and about $3800 in labor. Some of that may be hauling and cleaning charges as I'm having the bottom done too. You will have to do other things when the drive is pulled. My leg had a lot of growth and it needed to be barrier coated and painted. Also the vibration damper was shot. You may have one of those. The process is the same for 120s or 130s. Kits may be the same. Make sure you work with a yard that has experience with them. There will always be hidden things broken. Have money set aside for surprises. Mine was 10 yrs old.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
thanks guys, this is some good info. Our boat is currently on the hard in BC, Canada so that's the reason for wanting to do this now and take advantage of being out of the water. Quote is about 8-10 hours labor - about $1100 and $420 for parts and supplies. Hello Below -- I'll double check my model numbers by tomorrow.....just don't want to misquote that now.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
about $1100 and $420 for parts and supplies.
Sounds like a steal, especially if that is in Canuck Bucks. I am sure that you can bring the labour hours down if you prep the engine for sliding back, reconnect and tidy up after the job is completed. Good luck and please keep us abreast as the job progesses.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
thanks guys, this is some good info. Our boat is currently on the hard in BC, Canada so that's the reason for wanting to do this now and take advantage of being out of the water. Quote is about 8-10 hours labor - about $1100 and $420 for parts and supplies. Hello Below -- I'll double check my model numbers by tomorrow.....just don't want to misquote that now.