Volvo MD2030 Engine Failure - Lack of Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Approximately 2 weeks ago, my 2004 Volvo MD2030D engine (I have had since new) suffered a complete failure and requires either a replacement or a rebuild. The engine has about 750 hours on it. It has been maintained to a very high standard (oil and filter changed at least as often as the owner's manual states) and all parts used have been OEM. The oil level is checked religiously prior to each use and the engine has never been operated with a low oil level. As a matter of fact, the engine did not have any oil leaks, nor did it show any evidence of using oil, and prior to the failure, it ran quite smoothly. I have never experienced anything getting wrapped around the prop, etc.

The engine has been examined by the mechanic working on it, as well as an independent technical expert hired by my insurance carrier to determine the cause of failure. They agree on the cause. I have sent their information (as well as Volvo's theory of what happened) to another mechanic, complete with photos, and he states: "I'd have to agree with the insurance summary".

The report I received from the independent technical expert is as follows:
"Bottom end of failed connecting rod and bearing shows evidence of mechanical deformation and grinding due to pounding of the connecting rod on the crankshaft during operation. The bearing land on the connecting rod is not blued from extreme heat, which would have occurred had the bearing been starved of oil. The connecting rod did heat up as a consequence of pounding and failure of the hydrodynamic oil film, which resulted in lubricating oil 'cooking' onto the external surfaces causing the discoloration. The other rods and bearings show no evidence of oil starvation. The mechanic who disassembled the engine reported that he inspected the main bearings and found them to be undamaged.

The bearing cap shows evidence that the nut on the left was loose and came adrift prior to the failure as lubricating oil has cooked onto the surface where the nut would contact the bearing cap. The nut on the right side remained securely in place as the contact surface is clean. When the nut loosened, the normal bearing shape and clearance was disrupted causing failure of the oil film resulting in metal to metal contact. Once again, no bluing of the clean surface is evident.

The crankpin for #1 cylinder shows evidence of galling whereby metal to metal contact between the bearing and pin occurred as a result of the hydrodynamic oil film failing due to the bearing cap loosening. The crankshaft shows no bluing.

In my opinion, the engine failure is consistent with loosening of the connecting rod nut as demonstrated above."

Both the mechanic and the insurance technical expert agree that the cause of failure is that one of the nuts on the connecting rod for cylinder #1 came off which resulted in the engine failure. They both feel that this is the result of faulty workmanship or improper torquing of the nut during engine assembly.

I submitted all of this information to the Technical Support Manager for Volvo Penta Canada. He has come to a completely different conclusion. He states that:
"Both the crankshaft and connecting rod are blue/black. The
only reason for this to occur is that the rod was either overloaded or
starved for oil and the rod bearing failed. If the rod nuts had just
come loose there would no signs of the blue/black colour.

The rod bearing failure would have been caused by a loss of oil or a
possible overloading. The top of the bearing becomes hammered from the
overloading and this leads to an eventual failure like this. If you
exam the other rod bearings you should see signs of this occurring in
the upper shells. If it was caused by being starved for oil the other
shells would show signs of wiping of the soft bearing material.

I am sorry to say that for these reasons we will not be offering any
kind of compensation for the repairs."

The other rod bearings and connecting rods (except cylinder #1), as a matter of fact all other bearings, are in great condition, and Volvo has been told this to no avail.
I tried to post 3 photos to go along with this information, I hope they work because they clearly show the story.

Anyway, I am meeting a professional engineer who deals with engine failure analysis tomorrow, and if he agrees with the mechanics and the independent technical expert, I am considering small claims court.

Sorry for the long post, but I felt this was important information for everyone to be aware of, especially if you are in the market for a new boat or a repower. My advise is: AVOID VOLVO PENTA PRODUCTS, because in my experience, they do not build a quality product, nor do they stand behind it.
However, for economic reasons, I am forced to rebuild this engine, although if I could afford it, I would repower with a Yanmar!

Attachments

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
keep atem Tom

Wow I dont know which is worse the engine failing by what certainly looks like a manufacturing error or a large Company like Volvo giving you the run around..
This would certainly shy me away from any boat with a volvo power plant..

good luck Tom

Oct 1, 2008
More info

The engineer did his first look at the engine yesterday. He took several parts including the failed con rod and piston for metallugical testing including the use of an electron microscope. He gave me an early indication of his opinion, but I will wait until I receive his full report before updating.

I have to say I agree with Mikey16636 about being cautious about buying a boat with a Volvo engine in it. After reading about many other customers who have experienced both major and ongoing minor problems and having experienced it first hand myself, I am only rebuilding this engine because financially it is the only sensible option.

For further background on my problems with Volvo, I will give a brief history. First, my engine has gone through 4 sets of glow plugs. The first set burned out at 50 hours. They show no external damage, and I follow the owner's manual to the letter. The same Volvo manager told me that they don't have a problem with glow plugs, my problem is "user error". What a cop out! This problem is still ongoing, but I will hopefully fix it during the bebuild process by replaicng the entire glow plug system. This summer, I suffered a break down in the middle of Desolation Sound when the fresh water cooling pump pulley housing "just split in half"(see picture). This failure cost me about $1,000 including towing and the fact I had to have the part machined because Volvo Canada didn't have any parts in Canada. Like Ken Johnson, my engine hour meter only works intermitently, and now the tac is acting up. The fuel gauge reads full, even when my tank has only about 1/3 of a tank of fuel. My biggest problem with all of this has been Volvo Canada's attitude and in my opinion, total lack of concern for their customers!!!

My purpose here is just to make sure that consumers have information on which to base their purchasing decisions, whatever that decision will be. At least it will be an informed decision. We as consumers do have choices!

Thanks to everyone so far for taking the time to read this and to respond,
Tom:)

Attachments

Oct 1, 2008
Preliminary Update from the Professional Engineer

I just received an e-mail from the PEng investigating my engine failure. He stated: " I have found conclusive evidence that the one nut was not sufficiently torqued."

He is still conducting additional testing and I am expecting his complete report before the end of next week. I will provide a more detailed update at that time.

Regards,

Oct 1, 2008
I now have the complete report from the Professional Engineer (metallurgical) who examined my engine failure to determine cause.
Basically he examined the entire lower end of the engine and took several photos. He found no evidence of oil starvation or other problems. All bearings, except the one that was damaged, were in good condition. He took two piston assemblies to his "shop" for closer study. Using a high powered microscope, he discovered that the one nut that had "come undone" had not been torqued properly to manufacturer's specifications. Apparently, when a nut is torqued, it does microscopic "damage" to the mating surface (in this case, the con rod cap). This "damage" was evident (and consistent) on 3 of the 4 nuts and mating surfaces that he examined. Where the nut that failed was concerned, the "damage" was significantly less. To examine this, he first had to remove the "baked on oil" that was on the mating surface where the nut would have been (if it had not backed off prior to the heat being developed) He estimates that the applied torque to the failed nut was approximately half of the manufacturer's specified torque that was applied to the other nuts examined. He explained that manufacturer's specs for torque are calculated to include a "safety factor" to exceed the various expected loads. In this case, he feels that the torque applied to the failed connection was just adequate (or slightly beyond) to hold, and hence it took this relatively long time for the connection to fail (because of little or no "safety factor").

His conclusions are as follows (and I quote):
"1) Failure of the subject Volvo MD2030D engine occurred when one of the connecting rod to rod cap nuts backed off.
2) Backing off of the nut allowed the connecting rod and rod cap to slap the crankshaft journal, thus causing significant heat and bearing shell damage and the "rattling sound" that was heard prior to engine shutdown.
3) Backing off of the connecting rod nut occurred due to insufficient torque of the nut.
4) With consideration to the reported information, which did not include service history involving the connecting rods, the insufficient torque occurred during original assembly of the engine."

Obviously this failure is due to a manufacturing defect.
My question is: should I try to contact Volvo Canada again (third time) to give them this new information and another chance to "make good", or should I just file for court?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for your advise,

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter 41DS Reed Point Marina
do both..

Hi Tom:
If your serrious about going after Volvo for damages then I would do both . that way they will know youve done a thorough investgation and maybe they will settle out of court before the case comes up.. Maybe try to get the information you have to Volvo at the same time they are served with court notice..
In the mean time you can file in small claims court to get the ball rolling. you can stop thios procedure at any time you and Volvo might come to a settlement . To get into small claims it seems to take about a year where I live. In small claims court the limit is ten thousand I think.
Another question you have to consider is who are you actualy sueing. Volvo Canada, the Local dealer, the president of Volvo in Sweden, etc..
good luck

Mike

M

mayot

One point to add is that Volvo does not make the MD2030 and Volvo would not have been the one who did not torque the nut correctly. The engine is made by Perkins which is now a part of Caterpillar so if there is a suit of the manufacture of the engine it will end up being Caterpillar. For internal engine parts you can find them at your Caterpillar dealer under their 3 cylinder industrial engines. External marine only parts are added by Volvo when they marinize the engine.

Good luck.

Hi Tom:
If your serrious about going after Volvo for damages then I would do both . that way they will know youve done a thorough investgation and maybe they will settle out of court before the case comes up.. Maybe try to get the information you have to Volvo at the same time they are served with court notice..
In the mean time you can file in small claims court to get the ball rolling. you can stop thios procedure at any time you and Volvo might come to a settlement . To get into small claims it seems to take about a year where I live. In small claims court the limit is ten thousand I think.
Another question you have to consider is who are you actualy sueing. Volvo Canada, the Local dealer, the president of Volvo in Sweden, etc..
good luck

Mike

Oct 1, 2008
Good News - Final Outcome

My engine has been almost totally rebuilt, and now has about 10 hours on it since the rebuild. All appears well, except at first, there was a small "rattle" that now seems gone. I hope that it was just something "working itself in". Anyway my mechanic has heard it before it went away and is therefore aware of it. Unfortunately the engine won't get much use for the next few months.

How did all of my various dealings (financial) work out you may ask? Well both my insurance company and Volvo Penta Canada came through in the end. All of my expenses associated with the engine and rebuild have been covered. I am quite happy with the final outcome.

Thanks for reading about my "adventures",
Tom :)

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Congratulations - sonds lake a good outcome

Well done! Pleased to hear that all came out to your satisfaction; Volvo came thru for our MD2030 repair as well (was not as serious a problem as yours).

Mar 4, 2009
Bavaria 37 Cruiser Lysekil
Interesting to read

Tom,

You are not the only one that had this problem with the MD2030. I have heard of multiple cases similiar to yours in Sweden. One boat documented the problem quiet well, although in Swedish, but you can see the similarities by the pictures.
See here.

Although he had good support from the start from the insurance company and had his motor replaced with a new D1-30 for a "minor" cost.

Fredrik
S/Y WhitePearl

Oct 1, 2008
Thanks for the Link

Fredik (Whitepearl),
This is the first I have heard of other major failures of the MD2030 engine. It is very interesting to know that mine was not totally unique! However, this is not good news for the future??
I was also open to the option of an engine replacement as a solution to my issue. As a matter of fact, if Volvo had offered (from the beginning) the new engine at manufacturer's cost as well as the labour costs to install, I would have been very happy, and my posts on this and other forums would have been very different and very positive for Volvo. Oh well. Sorry for the time lag for my response, as I am out of the country now on vacation.
Thanks,

JohnT

Apr 20, 2010
None None N/A
Professional Engineer Contact?

Dear Firehoser75,

I read this thread with great interest as this failure has many similarities with the failure of a PowerGen diesel engine that I am investigating. Would it be possible for you to send me the name of the Professional Engineer that helped you out? Please contact me at jtowler@sintraeng.com

Thanks,

JT

Status
Not open for further replies.