Volve Race live from Newport

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The Weather Channel has live coverage from Newport this morning. I imagine they will reshow it and/or have more live coverage since they have TV crew there.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
With E/NE east blowing here and probably there it's going to be a reachfest for the course I saw. Shouldn't last long either.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The wind was lighter up there but it was a reach fest. A parade really. Team Brunel led wire to wire. Yawn. Their rounding of gate #3 was anything but textbook. I didn't realize they roll the code 0 in to round, and I guess gybe. It looks weird to see them rounding with no headsail. I think Dong Feng is one of a few who did an inside gybe and kept the headsail deployed. They got 5th so ...

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Thanks Dave for the link. That was fun to watch. Being a traditionalist, I like the Volvo 65 boats a lot better than those high tech multi hull foiling things they use in the America's Cup these days. I mean crews wearing crash helmets - that ain't yacht racing, to me (YMMV). But I digress.
That's the first time I've seen that trick of rolling up the big genny to jibe and tack, which probably indicates how out of touch I've been for the last few decades. I'm definitely going to try that now that I have a roller furling headsail.
The overhead shot of Team Brunel at 43:45 is truly beautiful...

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Let them know we're heading that way, I wouldn't want to pass them while the cameras are running. With SSW winds we just might be doing 8kts near Buzzards Bay.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's the first time I've seen that trick of rolling up the big genny to jibe and tack, which probably indicates how out of touch I've been for the last few decades. I'm definitely going to try that now that I have a roller furling headsail.
Some of the sails are in front of the forestay, they have to furl them or try to drag those huge sails through and narrow slot. Not good for the sails. Sort of like a cutter rig.