Voltage Regulator

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
My voltage regulator quit on me. I have an older Balmar hi power alternator set up with a voltage regulator and a manual spa creek control. The system is set up so the alternator wire runs thru the regulator then to the control then the batteries. The alternator is older and has no identifying marks so I do not know the model but It will adjust up to nearly 40 amp input/ output. But when on and in use the voltage creeps up and gets to 16 or more. This shorts out other electrical things running off the batteries.
Now my question is anyone know if the regulators sold by WM can be used as a replacement. are they pretty much all the same and will keep the voltage at say 13.8 or under 14.
Planning to call Balmar Monday teo dee what they say.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Terry, WADR, our C34 website has the answers.

The "Electrical Systems 101" topic has a discussion of the differences between the Balmar regulators and a search on the Auto Mac will bring up lots of discussions. I used to have an Auto Mac and discussed it many times. If you let the voltage creep up that high, either you didn't manage it properly or you didn't use the override high voltage setting if you had it on the particular model you had. There were two models.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My voltage regulator quit on me. I have an older Balmar hi power alternator set up with a voltage regulator and a manual spa creek control. The system is set up so the alternator wire runs thru the regulator then to the control then the batteries. The alternator is older and has no identifying marks so I do not know the model but It will adjust up to nearly 40 amp input/ output. But when on and in use the voltage creeps up and gets to 16 or more. This shorts out other electrical things running off the batteries.
Now my question is anyone know if the regulators sold by WM can be used as a replacement. are they pretty much all the same and will keep the voltage at say 13.8 or under 14.
Planning to call Balmar Monday teo dee what they say.

#1 What is the regulator?

#2 Lose the Automac! These were Band-Aid products for internally dumb regulated alternators that had sub 14.4V set points. Many an owner destroyed batteries using them and 16V will certainly do this...

With a proper external regulator, with adjustable/programmable voltages, there is less than zero need for an "owner controlled" regulator such as the Automac...

If the reg is an Balmar "ARS" (ARS-4 or higher) or "MC" series (MC-612 or higher) no need to replace it, but do re-wire everything when you yank the Automac...

Need to know:

-Model of external voltage regulator (not the Automac)

-Picture of the alternator or search the Balmar site for older model lit and see if you can identify it.

-What your batteries are brand & model & type

P.S. The ONLY TIME your regulator should be below 14.0V is when the batteries are chock full and has gone to float stage.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
Thank you for the response. This system was installed by the dealer 20 years ago. I have the original notes from the installer. He used a balmar BRS regulator that combines with. Weems and plath c6 FS #11153 product number. ( this is the radiator looking part with cast louvers) says voltage 12v DC
So it is old and was working but now has died. When plugged in and motor is on, one light is lit is on the balmar meter face but when i switch it on ( with the on off switch)!the other little green light does not go,on. I am guessing that would indicate it was operating., or not.
So i am not in love with the system and am just wanting a system that will work. I thought i would replace the regulator and see but am happy to go with a newer better system.
The service man here seems to know what is happening but suggested i just find and purchase a similar replacement.,

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Terry, that is one kludge of a "design." Not sure what kinda drugs your electrician dealer was on back then.

As I mentioned earlier, here is the very first one of a few "hits" on AutoMac on our C34 Forum, which includes my "Instruction Manual", written in 2000 and posted in 2009:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5290.0.html

The use of the AutoMac with a BRS makes little sense.

Do you still have the OEM alternator?

Feb 26, 2004
Options

............am just wanting a system that will work. I thought i would replace the regulator and see but am happy to go with a newer better system.
The service man here seems to know what is happening but suggested i just find and purchase a similar replacement.,
Terry, It all depends on how you use your boat.

If you marina hop or plug in regularly and only day sail, then a simple internal regulator on your OEM alternator would do just fine.

What is your house bank size?

If you anchor out and want to extend your cruising range, you could simply get a Honda 1000 and charge that way through your shorepower charger.

If you want a more sophisticated alternator based charging system, then you could get a new alternator and either reuse the BRS if it still works, or get a new MC-614, and lead your alternator output to the house bank.

All these options are included in the C34 "Electrical Systems 101" topic I mentioned earlier.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Them's your options, good luck.