Vision Window in Genoa?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Just getting ready to order a new main and 150 for my Catalina 22. They will both be tri radial Dacron and I am debating on adding vision window(s) to the head sail. I race some in PHRF on a busy lake with floating debris on the Mississippi and I am wondering if the window will help me see obstacles and other boats or just fog over with spray and be useless. The 150 on my boat is a deck sweeper so the only way to see around it is to look behind it from the leeward side which can shift weight and be a challenge if I am single handed for a day of fun on the water.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do it. And get a tell tail window while you’re at it.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Has anyone considered small, inexpensive cameras positioned on either side of the transom and pointed forwards to provide improved vision of any other approaching sailboats?
Just thinking about it!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I think cameras are a bit more technical than I want to get.

@Jackdaw do you use windows in your sails? Or are yours laminate that you can mostly see through. In talking with the sail lost his recommendation is if you can live without them the. Leave the vision windows off. Apparent,y they stretch at a different rate than the material of the sail over time.

Also note I sail 10-20 times a year and trailer 100% of the time. Sails are hank on and I hope to get to OK for the c22 nationals to see what I can learn from the big racers next year.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like the "idea" of windows, but have found them too small and either looking at the water or the sky. There is no reason you can't get one big enough and in the right spot, I just haven't seen them.
I really like the idea of a telltail window, though. I think that sounds like a great idea. Unless you can see the telltail through the sail. Then, save the money and keep your airflow more laminar.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had a window installed on my last 135 when I began sailing in a busy area. It was a relief. When I ordered my new suit of sails, I ordered one but it was delivered without. The reason or excuse I received is that it would hurt the sail shape. I think I'm going to put another in. I never noticed an issue for the seven years it was in, although it was a factory sail and not the best shape to begin with. BTW, the vision through it was excellent and spray et al wasn't a problem. I did hose it off occasionally. It did develop a small crease from furling; never an issue.

Nov 8, 2010
We don’t have a view window, but our non-overlapping headsail is a 105%. At WYC they are required over 135%. If you sail in an area with traffic, it’s a great idea. Really don’t worry about non-linear stretch unless you expect the sail to last 10+ years.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
I never thought they were bi enough to be useful... Then I got a Genny with one as a hand me down... At least 10 years old...... In tight racing a few weeks ago, from my normal helm position, I saw someones sail thru the window and was able to tell we were on the same take an not in danger... Then I saw when he tacked and knew I had to look closer to figure out the crossing... Still don't want to rely on that visibility 100% but definitely better than being blinder... And +1 on JDs telltale window...

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Get the window. I sure regret not doing it. Makes a big difference when you’re trying to cross the course on port tack while everyone else is on starboard (which is what always seems to happen to Betty L—her skipper is usually a day late and a dollar short).

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have one on my big deck sweeper genoa... I'm blind without it, relying on the trimmer to keep me from hitting crab pots or anything else. That said, I never use it when single handed... opting for the easier handling 110 with a higher clew. If you can see under the foot you don't need it 'cause the things you're concerned about are at water level. I almost got hit by a larger boat plowing through a crowded channel with it's big genoa rolled out all the way, no window, no crew look out. They were just sitting in the cockpit socializing....... until they heard my air horn.. that woke 'em up... you should have heard the apologies... I actually felt some sympathy for the skipper's embarrassment. So there's the big lesson... always keep the air horn handy.
Plus one for the tell tale window, also.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Sounds like I need to order the window then. I already planned the tale tale window on the lowest tale tale and although I do hope this sail being Dacron will still be up in 10 years I suppose it will have already lost some shape anyway.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Had a large one installed on my last boat and never regretted it. Local sailmaker put it in for me. Used it it for years and sold it with the boat.

Nov 8, 2010
WYC is hosting the US Sailing Adult National championships this week, and North Sails donated brand new class sails for the 11 j/22s that we provided for the teams to use. Note the view windows on the jib AND main.

A6B31BB3-C064-4BA6-A577-85171B72B371.jpeg

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
So what happens to the new sails when the race is over? Does the club get to keep the, for their boats?

Nov 8, 2010
So what happens to the new sails when the race is over? Does the club get to keep the, for their boats?
Great question, I don’t know. The boats are owned by WYC members; US Sailing is paying to charter them for the regatta. One of my best friends is sailing in the regatta (sometimes on her boat, they mix), I’ll ask if she gets to keep the sails!

Last edited: