Vision 32 hull defect

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
I'm wondering if any of the Vision owners, past or present, have experienced the "soft spot" in the hull, starboard side, roughly under the head? I just bought this 1989 Vision 32, and I've heard back when Hunter existed as its own entity, they became aware of this relatively unsupported spot in the hull that would become dented if, for example, a block was placed just so at the boatyard, and furthermore offered to repair it at their expense. Since Hunter went bankrupt and was bought by Marlow, all prior obligations such as this have become null and void. So I guess it's up to me to see about fixing it now! Has anybody heard of this issue before? I could swear I found an article once about one owner's repair, but I can't seem to find it now. I've attached a picture from the pre-purchase survey that shows the indentation. Thanks all! (and yes, I know she needs bottom paint ;)1989 Vision 32 hull dent.jpg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
As long as the yard will repair what they caused, let them.
I have personally seen another Hunter from that era being lowered onto the pads, and it took quite a few tries before the crane operator and the guy guiding him from below found places that did not push that thin hull inwards severely. Not very strong construction, but OTOH you did get "a lot of boat for the money" ! :)

Any yard should know what to watch for with various makes and models, and this weakness is very well know. When you get it back that part of the boat will be stronger than before.

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
As long as the yard will repair what they caused, let them.
I have personally seen another Hunter from that era being lowered onto the pads, and it took quite a few tries before the crane operator and the guy guiding him from below found places that did not push that thin hull inwards severely. Not very strong construction, but OTOH you did get "a lot of boat for the money" ! :)

Any yard should know what to watch for with various makes and models, and this weakness is very well know. When you get it back that part of the boat will be stronger than before.
Unfortunately, the dent was there long before the boat came into my possession (at least as early as 2014, when the last survey was done). The guy I bought it from didn't seem to think it was big enough an issue to deal with, but he also wasn't sailing it nearly as often as I plan to. Do I just bite the bullet and let a yard glass in a new stringer in that section of the hull?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Yea, I had a Vision for nine years and four haul outs and never saw anything like that. Mine was a 1990 and they did some changes; possible they added some reinforcement. And, yea, I would have them add some support between the hull and liner even if it isn't strictly necessary.