Virus alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If you haven't heard yet, there's a new email virus running around called the "ILOVEYOU" virus. Upon opening the message (or running the attached file) it replaces the home page on your browser. When you launch your browser it sends the same email to everyone in your address book. It is also messing with .jpg files and there is a rumor it is sending any cached passwords to an email address, but I doubt that part of it. So far, this effects only CO users, not Mac. DO NOT under any circumstances, open emails with a subject line "I LOVE YOU" or any attachments even resembling that. From what I'm hearing today from other email adminstrators, this one is truly nasty.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm hearing it may just rename them

This is only from one source so far, on an NT server, that the files were renamed with a .vbs added to the end.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
I got it on an MSNBC alert that it wipes them.

Accoording to the news story, a major magazine lost all of its photo database. Personally, I have no idea, whichever...

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

"This is funny" is apparently suspicious too

Just heard it on the radio so take it with a grain of salt.

G

Greg Stebbins

Raytheon (me )& Northrop (wife) went down today

Gad, we all had to talk to one another. It was not pretty.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
It was amazing today

I kept an eye on our email server and watched the outgoing mesages pile up for Yahoo, Prodigy, Microsoft... who must have been down for a time. Most of the people I'm in contact with have filters up now to detect and block the virus from going to any of our users, although I guess it can be worked around. I haven't heard anything yet about a new version. I'll keep a close watch on my network mnager's mail list and post here if anything new comes up.

C

Capn' Odie

"Joke" virus

I have heard that another virus "Joke" was out and about. Let us all be careful. With Respect, Capn' Odie

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
tale of woe

My wife, Wonderblond, resigned her position as Prinicpal Systems Analyst for Stanford University and began a new job with an internet startup (Noosh) yesterday. She got to work at 0730, opened an "I love you" email, thereby speading the virus througout a 250-person company trying to get ready for its IPO. At a company-wide meeting that afternoon, she was introduced as the company's new Senior Usability Engineer, "the one who tried to shut us down today." Sigh. At least she can cook.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
ouch!

Well, it's one way to make an impression on your first day. I'll bet the analysts know her name now...

Status
Not open for further replies.