Vinyl Striping Applied Over Vinyl Striping?

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
NYSail the above posts will work well for a stripe, but found it takes much more work to get 30 year old name off, tape letters yes, but years of sun on all the hull except for under the lettering ... well, I gave up and had the transom regelled, then the new name (and picture), and I think it was worth the cost. Look around at boats and you can still easily tell most that have been renamed.
Bob

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
NYSail the above posts will work well for a stripe, but found it takes much more work to get 30 year old name off, tape letters yes, but years of sun on all the hull except for under the lettering ... well, I gave up and had the transom regelled, then the new name (and picture), and I think it was worth the cost. Look around at boats and you can still easily tell most that have been renamed.
Bob
Fully agree where a name change is happening, but on the set pin stripes they go right back over...... I had no issue removing 20 year old stripes with a little heat and a plastic scraper.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I used a heat gun on the low setting in about 45-50 degree weather if I recall. The trick is to keep it moving. Then I used MEK to remove the adhesive residue. It's a little easier to use than Acetone because it doesn't evaporate quite as fast.
The P.O. had five colors of vinyl tape on my boat. Three layers deep in some areas! Sooooo....yes, new tape will adhere to old, but it looked pretty half-ass IMO. Best to just do it right.... as I think you've already concluded.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Soapy water???
My vinyl guy sez a spritz bottle fulls water with (only) a few drops of "Joy) as a surfactant. " Soapy" water will prolly leave residue that would prevent permanent bond.
Just sayin'
Now you'll notice I did say a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of water. So that's my definition of soapy water...:biggrin:and my concentration is prob lower than his unless his spritz bottle is a couple of gallons..Plus this was a time before spray bottles were commonly available I think. You could still make a chain out of soda and beer can pull tabs and Coke bottles still had real cork under the tops...hahaha...I need to go sailing.....

But i'm interested to learn the difference between Dawn and Joy. I add a 'few drops' (2) of Dawn to my handy bucket of water when i'm wet sanding scratches out of the gelcoat...makes the paper slide easier...

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Never understood the "Joy" thing either. I used a couple drops of Dawn myself, after he passed, to no noticeable diff.
As reference to too much soap, Kiwideck fella uses soapy water to place decal under a coating of no-skid, then pulls decal off to expose unpainted logo. Apparently, the excess soap used allows semi permanent placement; but prevents permanent stickage!?

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I used a hair dryer and a brand new razor blade scrapper from the hardware store. Took no time at all.
I then marked the line with periodic pieces of blue painters tape. Then I cleaned the residue with 3M Adhesive Remover from Advance Auto. My son and I did both sides of the boat in a day. :biggrin: