Vintage Bock sailboat - info?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
bock boats were built on summit street here in toledo. mr bock owned a successful commercial laundry machine company. he decided to try his hand at boat design and construction. allot of the early fiberglass technology was developed here in toledo. hence the bock boat. the flaired bow was an attempt to lessen spray. in toledo at the same time the nipper was being built. good sailer . the ymca camp i attended had a couple of those boats. below average performance with the bock unless you were carrying say four campers, then it might point. all the kids prefered the nippers, comets, and interlakes. the bock never caught on , weak performance while looking allot like a bathtub. remember, washing machine manufacturer turned wanna bee sailboat maker. heah, mr bock went for greatness, didn't get there.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i'll bet it's overbuilt big time. they were heavy as i recall.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I googled "Bock Boats" and got a few hits. The boat was sold as a basic hull with various configurations. From a basic fishing boat with oarlocks... to an outboard equipped runabout... add a mast kit, dagger boards and tiller and it became a sailboat... or add the outboard to the sailboat configuration to create a "motor sailer" or you could shoot the moon with a windshield and remote steering......

Looks like you have the basic fishing boat. If you have an outboard... it might be fun.
But, IMHO, don't waste time or money trying to make it a sailboat.... It'd be cheaper to spend $500 on a sailboat that already has sails, mast, rudder, centerboard, rigging, etc....

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Bock
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1959-BOCK-BOATS-INC-SALES-BROCHURE-CATALOG-TOLEDO-OH-/322238412477

Jul 26, 2017
Bock 12 60 Grand Haven
I should have noted that I do have all the bits - it is a functioning sailboat. I just couldnt find a picture or drawing that showed this style with the seats along the edge.

Attachments

Oct 4, 2017
Bock 14 Grand Haven
I too recently acquired a Bock. It is the Sailer you see in your pics! Has the original tube frame trailer, mast & sails, 35 hp evinrude, etc. I hope to start work on it this year and get it in the water next summer. It needs some work!
Rick

Jul 26, 2017
Bock 12 60 Grand Haven
I too recently acquired a Bock. It is the Sailer you see in your pics! Has the original tube frame trailer, mast & sails, 35 hp evinrude, etc. I hope to start work on it this year and get it in the water next summer. It needs some work!
Rick
Looks like we are in the same town! I live just south in Grand Haven. If I ever get this boat sea worthy we should sail together!

Oct 4, 2017
Bock 14 Grand Haven
Wow, too funny!
Absolutely! This thing needs some work, but looks like it's all there. I'll need to find the right gas can for the motor. It's got an older funky connector but I think I can find it locally. Get the motor looked at, some fiberglass work and some paint and it gets wet hopefully!

Attachments

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
bock boats were built on summit street here in toledo. mr bock owned a successful commercial laundry machine company. he decided to try his hand at boat design and construction. allot of the early fiberglass technology was developed here in toledo. hence the bock boat. the flaired bow was an attempt to lessen spray. in toledo at the same time the nipper was being built. good sailer . the ymca camp i attended had a couple of those boats. below average performance with the bock unless you were carrying say four campers, then it might point. all the kids prefered the nippers, comets, and interlakes. the bock never caught on , weak performance while looking allot like a bathtub. remember, washing machine manufacturer turned wanna bee sailboat maker. heah, mr bock went for greatness, didn't get there.
I know this has nothing to do with bock boats, but while reading your post the flair bow brought back memories. During the mid 70s thru the early 90s I was doing a lot of work of sport fisherman. (aluminum towers). Any way I loved the Carolina flair on Buddy Davis, Merritt, and all the custom one offs built there.
Yea I know his is a sailboat forum, and I love sailing, but reading your post just brought memories. To me that flair was a work of art.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I know this has nothing to do with bock boats, but while reading your post the flair bow brought back memories. During the mid 70s thru the early 90s I was doing a lot of work of sport fisherman. (aluminum towers). Any way I loved the Carolina flair on Buddy Davis, Merritt, and all the custom one offs built there.
Yea I know his is a sailboat forum, and I love sailing, but reading your post just brought memories. To me that flair was a work of art.
I cruise past Merritt's boatyard every time I go sailing. Man they make some pretty boats, but wow are they expensive.

Nov 7, 2019
Bock Sailboat garage
Old thread, but I just got a Bock and found it. Mine has a cuddy cabin. No ID plate, but Vessel ID came back as a Bock which is how I got here. Anyone seen another with a cabin? I'd love to know about the sails if anyone can share dimensions. Mine had a bag of Hobie Cat sails it turns out.

Attachments

May 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Clinton River
Anone know anything about this boat? Does it sail well or is it more of motorboat? Anyone know what it's worth? Interested in purchasing to teach my 6 year old to sail (plus kicker motor mount is a huge plus. Is a 15 hp motor enough?)

Attachments