Video game sailboats

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
that. is one speedy cartoon sail boat and every direction appears to be hard up....

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yah I see what you mean how could one get another pop with the companion way closed........oh yah, I would love for our Sapphire to point that high, very impressive

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
One.game that has spent the time is "Naval Action" on Steam. They have spent years fine-tuning the sailing characteristics... Backing and filling, heel efffects, even the influence of rudder on speed... For sloops through the largest ships of the line

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
One.game that has spent the time is "Naval Action" on Steam. They have spent years fine-tuning the sailing characteristics
I think my kids installed steam. Ill check that out.

Watchdogs 2 on playstation 4 takes place in san Francisco. The sailboats there have to tack and gybe based on a wind gauge. The sails move in and out based on apparent wind. Speed maxes out on beam reach. Its really as good as sail simulator 5 with auto settings.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like playing video games and have found a couple of them with sailing components. Black Flag was fun, but sailing in GTA is pretty boring. None have been very good, as Bobby points out. I figure the physics engines are very basic and the game developers aren't sailors, nor do they expect their target customers to be. It's too bad, because there's a unique action to sailing that would make it a good video game adventure.
I didn't know about the games mentioned above. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
My favorite sailing game is actually a board game called 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men'. It involves establishing a wind direction and speed each turn. The player writes down his planned maneuvers in secret. Player's distance traveled are limited by angle to the wind. The goal is to position yourself for a broadside to your opponent and sink them. Your best maneuver is to "cross the 'T'", allowing you to fire a full broadside at your opponent while limiting or completely avoiding their fire at you. You play it with little plastic models on a gridded playing board.
With these newer 'go anywhere' video games, a good sailing adventure would be cool.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
game developers aren't sailors, nor do they expect their target customers to be
I have not tried any of them. I would suspect that the action is to slow for a good game. But that could be solved if they tried to use a Moth or one of the big foiling Cats as used in the the America races in SF Harbor. The varying controls the flying dangers the crashes all elements of a possible video game. The bicycle powered hydraulics the boats flipping, the crew launched into the air flying, spectacular crashes. Yes that is the makings of a sailing video.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...My favorite sailing game is actually a board game called 'Wooden Ships and Iron Men'. It involves establishing a wind direction and speed each turn. The player writes down his planned maneuvers in secret. Player's distance traveled are limited by angle to the wind. The goal is to position yourself for a broadside to your opponent and sink them. Your best maneuver is to "cross the 'T'", allowing you to fire a full broadside at your opponent while limiting or completely avoiding their fire at you. You play it with little plastic models on a gridded playing board....
Will, that sounds like "Broadsides and Boarding Parties" board game. Milton Bradley, IIRC. Ships movememnts done by a roll of the dice. Little crew and cannon figures, you position for the "boarding" part.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Recently, I downloaded ASA Sailing Challenge onto my Ipad. Its fairly basic and a little bit klunky, but its probably a good starting point for newer sailers. If nothing else, its a good way to kill some time somewhat constructively.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This is fantasy we are talking about. Use your imagination:rolleyes:. Things like physical accuracy only get in the way:banghead:. Maybe if the game developers joined SBO instead of some other sailing forum, they would get more right:yeah:? We could beta test it for them:dancing:.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017
A hex map...this means war.

Those were huge back in mid 80's. Neighbors down the street were big into the star trex adaptations.

Once video games came out with online multiplayer capabilities that erra ended.

I visited a game room a couple years ago and instead of a hex map it was a open area and the distances were determined by pre measured sticks.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It was a shop called the Dragon's Keep in South Portland Maine where I was introduced to Wooden Ships and Iron Men. I was in art school in '83 and went evenings to play AD&D. We started branching out to a few other games. This was one of my favorites for the nautical theme.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 16, 2017

[Edit] Its a sailing video, so volume should be zero. My apologies if you had volume up when you played this...i didnt record this..lets just clear that up.

This from Sly 3. Its a galeon battle mini game. Two players try to out maneuver each other so cannons on either side can hit other player. Map is huge and there are islands with lagoons to hide in. When hit players need to stop the leaks.

"Sail" controls are simple, port or starboard. Galeon is always moving unless pinned against the shoreline. Sails are barely visible and there is no wind affect. Should be called pontoon pirate mini game.

Gameplay is the playstation 2 video game version of Will's WS&IM. And the childs version of Naval Action.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
One.game that has spent the time is "Naval Action" on Steam. They have spent years fine-tuning the sailing characteristics... Backing and filling, heel efffects, even the influence of rudder on speed... For sloops through the largest ships of the line

That game looks beautiful Obi