Victory at sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2010
Ranger 28 Tall Rig Maurepaus
Wow, I was on a cruise ship that had to handle 30knot winds out of the north going to and from the bahamas. Not that much fun, and was too cold. LOL!

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
Steve

Nice footage!
USS Pittsburgh had a similar encounter in 1945; back in the days when there was no typhoon reconnaissance, weather satellites, and too few good forecasters. She limped back into port for repairs to fight again.
Read more in "Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of a Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm, and an Untold Rescue"

Rich
doin' da weather since '68

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
That was one damned expensive jet to soak with salt water on the fore deck!

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
yes....

That was one damned expensive jet to soak with salt water on the fore deck!
fortunately the Navy had discovered the importance of watertight integrity quite a while before.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
thanks for sharing--that was cool--a bit busy but coool.....

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Been there

I was on the flight deck of the USS Forrestal (CV-59) in the Eastern Med in the dead of winter. We were actually taking on fuel at the time.

Carrier - occasional white water across the bow. Since the deck is around 50' in the air, it takes a big storm to get it wet. No problems standing on deck in the stern.

Tanker - green water to the bridge. It was one of the big fast tankers with the bridge 2/3 of the length back.

Destroyer on the starboard side of the tanker - might as well have been a submarine. We actually saw the screws come out of the water every time the bow went down.

Made me glad to be in Naval Aviation on a nice big boat. You couldn't really feel the roll. Only an occasional gravitational pull to port or starboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.